Can't add Alexa service: On sign-in: Request-URI Too Large

• 5 February 2024
  • 14 replies

On the iOS app, if I try to add Alexa as a service, it redirects me to amazon to sign on, but then after I enter my name/password and click the “sign-in” button, it sends me to an error page: 414 Request-URI Too Large

The URL is indeed incredibly long, mainly due to the `metadata1` query field

Edit: I got it to work, by copying the URL, removing the `metadata1` field, then opening the URL in the browser

14 replies

Hi, same here :-( Can you please tell a little more on the URL? In my case it starts like this: https://alexa-voice-service-setup.amazon.com/splash-screen?token=eyJ7dXAi... and goes on with the incredible long token. I can not find the metadata1 flied. 

Thanks in advance!!!

heya, mine started https://na.account.amazon.com/ap/signin?... so maybe slightly different I’m afraid, I guess just try to look if any fields may be unnecessary

I have the same problem.. 

I wasn’t able to shorten the URL. I fixed it by using my iPad instead of the iPhone. 

Same problem, doesn’t work on iOS or iPadOS for myself. And unfortunately you can manage the system preferences using the desktop app. Hope they fix this bug soon. 

same issue for me…. can shorten it but then password fails on NA URL when I am in DE.

I did open a support ticket a couple days ago, no response. I also submitted a terrible review. Maybe that will get someone attention. 

If you didn’t call them, submitting a diagnostic doesn’t do anything. Read the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread.

Same for me, I can’t get Alexa to add to any speakers because I get directed to na.account.amazon.com which appears to be down or unavailable, no obvious way to re-direct to a UK site even though I an in UK and all Amazon and Alexa app preferences are set to UK.

Same for me, I can’t get Alexa to add to any speakers because I get directed to na.account.amazon.com which appears to be down or unavailable, no obvious way to re-direct to a UK site even though I an in UK and all Amazon and Alexa app preferences are set to UK.

I found a work around for iOS.  AFter the ‘Get Started’ screen, when it takes you to the log in with the na.account URL, don’t sign in. Copy the URL, and then past that into Firefox or another browsers on your phone. The set up process then continues normally and adds Alexa to the chosen speaker. Repeat for any other speakers you need to set up.

I found a work around for iOS.  AFter the ‘Get Started’ screen, when it takes you to the log in with the na.account URL, don’t sign in. Copy the URL, and then past that into Firefox or another browsers on your phone. The set up process then continues normally and adds Alexa to the chosen speaker. Repeat for any other speakers you need to set up.

I tried this - no luck - came up with an Amazon Error instead of URI length error. Something seriously wrong going on...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @chrisj_sewell 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m glad to hear you found a resolution! Thanks for sharing!

For everyone else, I’ve heard reports that it can help to reboot the phone/tablet involved.

I hope this helps.

Nothing in this thread helped me, nor did Sonos support provide an answer or bother with a response. But I digress, that’s for another topic of discussion.

what did work for me was hard wiring network to the device. And yes, when it was on wifi I confirmed SonosOne was responsive on my network.  It wasn’t a on net vs off net type of issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wylz 

I did open a support ticket a couple days ago, no response. I also submitted a terrible review. Maybe that will get someone attention. 

Nothing in this thread helped me, nor did Sonos support provide an answer or bother with a response. But I digress, that’s for another topic of discussion.

I tried to find out why you had not heard back from us, but I see no existing cases, chats or calls associated with your Sonos account - how did you go about opening a support ticket? If you tried to email in the first instance, that will not have worked - our contact page only outlines online chat or phone calls. I suspect this may have been where things went wrong.

I am glad to hear that you found a solution, however - thanks for sharing it!