Answered

Can I activate a sonos playlist with alexa?

• 9 July 2018
  • 3 replies

I have created a playlist on the sonos playlist but I want to know if there is a way to access it via alexa. It's a pain in the butt to have to go to the sonos app every time to start it. Then what's the point in having Alexa?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 10 July 2018, 01:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, Season. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Alexa cannot access playlists saved through Sonos, as Alexa only has access to the music services set up on Sonos. If you'd like Alexa to be able to access this playlist, I'd suggest making a playlist on Amazon Music or Spotify.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Also remember to include the command 'Playlist' in your command for supported Playlists, or Alexa will search for an Album: e.g 'Alexa, Play Piano Chill Playlist on {Sonos Room Name}'
Hey there, Season. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Alexa cannot access playlists saved through Sonos, as Alexa only has access to the music services set up on Sonos. If you'd like Alexa to be able to access this playlist, I'd suggest making a playlist on Amazon Music or Spotify.

Thanks!

I don't think Amazon Music or Spotify has access to local music storage either, so I'm not sure how creating a playlist on either of those 2 services will suffice without making sure those services have the content you desire.

Anyhow, it seems like there needs to be communication between alexa and the music service in order to tell sonos to stream particular content on a local device. It doesn't seem that far-fetched to have Alexa to communicate with sonos to request a particular playlist name. It doesn't seem that it would need to validate the playlist name prior to issuing a request to Sonos to execute the playlist. I mean, if there's already communication in the cloud to orchestrate the request of cross-service communication and download, it shouldn't be that much of a problem to issue a simple request to your Sonos service to play a local playlist.