Answered

Can a Sonos One be used to develop Alexa skills?

• 19 December 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
If I have just a Sonos One, can I use that to develop new alexa skills of my own, or do I need an official Amazon device to do it?

I signed into the alexa portal and was given options to register an Echo, Dot etc. but nothing about the Sonos.

Anyone any ideas?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 December 2017, 20:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi there, mrgrieves. Thanks for posting! The Sonos One acts just as any other Amazon Alexa-enabled device. While I can't speak for Amazon and what is needed for their development program, most published skills should work without issue with the Sonos One. My recommendation would be to use an Amazon Echo device to develop and test. I'd hate for you to buy the Sonos One on that sole premise, for it to turn out to not work. Best of luck with your skill!
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Thanks, Keith. I'll find out for sure at some point no doubt - it's definitely not the reason I'd buy a Sonos One, just something I was messing around with.

From a look at the Amazon dev site, I'm guessing I can't which would be a pity as I don't really want an actual echo particularly. I should really have checked before writing the code! :)

I was considering a Play:1 to go with my existing system, but the Sonos One is the same price and has another toy to play with so why not..
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
OK I now have a Sonos One and can confirm that it is possible to develop your own Alexa skills and install them on the Sonos One without going through the store and releasing it etc. No doubt if you're a professional Alexa develop you want the Amazon Echo as it will support everything you need to do, but for what I want it works like a charm.

My initial confusion came because I was logging into the main Alexa portal which requires a device and forces you initially to choose an Amazon one. Once I registered the Sonos One I could get onto that site... but it's actually not where I wanted to go. There's a separate Alexa developer portal which you can use instead - and as long as the email is the same on there then skills you write are automatically available on the Sonos One.

Which is great!