Answered

Can a Sonos One be added as the Alexa enabled device to an alexa smart group

• 3 November 2017
  • 15 replies

Badge
I’m planning out where to add various sonos speakers and dots in additional rooms in my house. In rooms with smart lights I’d like to be able to control them with the new alexa enabled smart groups.

So can I add the Sonos One as the alexa enabled device in an alexa smart home group?
icon

Best answer by warp11 3 November 2017, 01:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

When I try and define Groups in the Alexa app, the Sonos One does NOT appear on the "Alexa-Enabled Devices" list. My Sonos One has been working reasonably well, but I believe an appropriate Alexa Group would make it even better.
Badge
Thanks for confirming.
I'm now torn between play1 + dot so I can say turn on the lights, but then have to specify which player to play music on
or a Sonos One where I can say play some music, but have to specify which lights to turn on!

Its frustratingly close to being great!
Is there any info on when this will work? The new V3 smart home skills allowing for simpler language like "Turn on the lights" or "Turn on the TV" are really great.

But we lose out on this when we invest in a Sonos One. We actually lose functionality, and that hurts. I trust that it's coming, but can we get some kind of confirmation that it is in fact coming? Otherwise these Sonos Ones actively make Alexa worse than pairing an Echo Dot and a Play:1.
Userlevel 1
It is disappointing to have lost this feature when I removed a couple of dots and replaced them with Sonos Ones... is this a feature that will be supported, as this level of lost functionality is a significant annoyance?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It is disappointing to have lost this feature when I removed a couple of dots and replaced them with Sonos Ones... is this a feature that will be supported, as this level of lost functionality is a significant annoyance?

It should be, the API to enable the grouping of 3rd party speakers is being released in 2018 but Sonos haven't yet commited to a delivery date.
From day 1, Sonos has said “you won’t aleays have to say the room name when commanding the speaker”

I always suspected this would be powered by the smart group features. I’m hoping that’s what drives it in the future so that we can get the functionality asked about in this thread.

Again, it’d be nice to have some info. There’s a big difference between things that you know you can make work, but take time...and things that are experimental. I wish the former was mentioned to customers so we had some expectations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
From day 1, Sonos has said “you won’t aleays have to say the room name when commanding the speaker”

I always suspected this would be powered by the smart group features. I’m hoping that’s what drives it in the future so that we can get the functionality asked about in this thread.

Again, it’d be nice to have some info. There’s a big difference between things that you know you can make work, but take time...and things that are experimental. I wish the former was mentioned to customers so we had some expectations.

I understand your frustration but this is the difference with Amazon Alexa devices and Amazon Alexa Enabled devices, Amazon Fire TV also has restrictions :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202013680
Hate to say it but this is another one of those things Sonos should have made sure worked before they released the one. Also replaced a dot and play 1 with the one and missing this functionality
Any update on this?
Keen to know if this is going to be added.

Sonos almost never pre-announces new functionality, especially when it wholly depends on the work of a partner, as this does.

Sonos almost never pre-announces new functionality, especially when it wholly depends on the work of a partner, as this does.

Thanks - who is the 3rd party you are referring to? I assume its Amazon. The V3 API has been out for awhile so not sure why they are depedent on Amazon.
It would be nice if Sonos acknowledged the issue though.
It would be great if they added this feature. Just about to kit out a new house with Alexa devices. Had planned to use mostly Sonos Ones as they sound great but i'd really like to be able to walk into any room and say "Alexa turn on the lights" so I'm probably going to go with Echo V2's instead.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It would be great if they added this feature. Just about to kit out a new house with Alexa devices. Had planned to use mostly Sonos Ones as they sound great but i'd really like to be able to walk into any room and say "Alexa turn on the lights" so I'm probably going to go with Echo V2's instead.

Hi

You can control the lights via a Sonos One but not yet group lights to one, so that the command you listed in your post would work. I use 'Alexa, turn on Lounge Lights' and it works fine.