Built in Alexa doesn't work...

• 26 October 2017
  • 13 replies

Badge
My new sonos one with alexa has no Alexa function. Went through all the back and forth set up with both app's. The speaker hears when I say Alexa and that's it. Never get a voice back saying ok or anything. Please help. Very disappointed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I'm having the same difficulty. I've set up everything as per instructions, but there's no response from the sonos one... beginning to feel a bit silly talking to myself 😞
Here are some troubleshooting tips:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4345

First thing I would try is disabling and enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app. After that, make sure there are no smart devices with duplicate names. You just may be talking to your lamp instead of yourself. 😉
Badge
Just talked to tech support. Sonos advised to perform a factory reset on the sonos one. This is done by unplugging the speaker then hold the infinity button on the back while powering up the speaker until you see flashing lights go from amber to white. Then perform set up.
Badge
Update. Did the factory reset/set up and still no Alexa function ?.
Badge
Jgatie, I've been through all the trouble shooting with no success.
Jgatie, I've been through all the trouble shooting with no success.

Time to submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here.
Badge
Tried submitting diagnostics and keeps saying unable to submit. Tech support says they can't exchange speaker without verifying if it's a sonos issue or Alexa issue. Sonos built Alexa into the speaker, in my opinion sonos should be responsible for diagnosing the issue not the customer. I'm being told I could return the speaker and after they revive it my refund could take 2 to 3 weeks to see my money. Non of these options are acceptable to me!! VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH SONOS PRODUCT SUPPORT!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi smcginnis977, sorry to hear about the trouble. I saw that you've started up the return process, but if you decide you want to give it another shot, here are some details for you.

Not being able to submit a diagnostic likely is due to the same reason you're having issues with Alexa. My first guess would be something network or environmental that's giving you trouble. That's also why replacing the unit with another one is likely not to solve the problem, and why the technician would be hesitant to doing that. We'd hate to go through a replacement process with you and have the new one suffering from the same problem.

Have you tried rebooting the router and wiring your Sonos One to the network? That would help narrow down the potential problems with those things.
Badge
As a last ditch effort, I reset the router and it resolved my problem. Came back to post my discovery and find that Sonos, after 5 days of various communications, finally found a remedy for my problem.
I had a working SONOS One, Alexa was great, then after a couple weeks she just stopped responding. I have a firestick remote in that room and I've had guests visiting so I hadn't messed with it until today. I reset the One (unplugged and plugged back in holding the infinity button, for a LONG time until it went through several colors ending up flashing green). I added it to my Sonos setup using the desktop app.I think the key is, after it's added to the system, you have to go to the MOBILE APP, to "more..." then to "Voice Services" where you need to follow the Alexa steps. I'm guessing my app updated and these settings changed and that's why it stopped working. Anyway, it works 100% now.
I'm having this same issue and I've done factory reset several times and disabled and reenabled the sonos skill in the alexa app
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you check that the small round white light is displayed on the top of the Sonos One. If not then the mic has been turned off by mistake, just touch the mic symbol on the top of the Sonos One to toggle back on.
Hey Sonos team, can you help out with this issue.

Symptom: Sonos Beam and Sonos One will play the charm after I speak a command but then remains silent and does not perform anything.

Troubleshooting steps
- Disabled and forgotten devices in Alexa app
- Delete Alex App
- Factory reset Sono's products
- Resetup sonos products using the sonos app + wizard (During the setup i am able to hear Alexa voice)
- Sono apps prompts me to "try out some alexa commands"... none of them work

Based in Oz