Answered

Beginner Sonos One questions

• 12 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge
Sorry if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it! I have several Amazon Alexa Dots in the house, controlling lights, etc. Last week I added a SonosOne. Here are the questions:

1. Alexa plays music on the SonosOne fine, but seemingly can not see the SonosOne as an additional device so I can engage multi-room music. I have tried Scenes and Routines, but no luck. Am I out of luck for now? Or have I missed a trick?

2. I am very impressed with the SonosOne, so I am now seriously thinking of grabbing another Sonos... most likely a Sonos Play 1. If I buy that.. will it sync withe the SonosOne and then give me multi-room music?

Thanks in advance for any help.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 12 November 2017, 09:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sorry if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it! I have several Amazon Alexa Dots in the house, controlling lights, etc. Last week I added a SonosOne. Here are the questions:

1. Alexa plays music on the SonosOne fine, but seemingly can not see the SonosOne as an additional device so I can engage multi-room music. I have tried Scenes and Routines, but no luck. Am I out of luck for now? Or have I missed a trick?

2. I am very impressed with the SonosOne, so I am now seriously thinking of grabbing another Sonos... most likely a Sonos Play 1. If I buy that.. will it sync withe the SonosOne and then give me multi-room music?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi

In answer to your questions:

1. Sonos 1's do not support Alexa groups at this stage and so it is not possible to output audio to your Echo Dot's and Sonos 1's in a multi room setup;

2. Yes this is the fundamental strength of Sonos and is controlled within the Sonos App by using Sonos grouping.

Hope that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Groups can also be controlled using the play/pause button on the speaker (hold down for a couple of seconds to join a speaker/group that is already playing, repeat to leave the group).

Whether the ability to join/leave Sonos groups through Alexa will ever be possible, only Sonos knows at this point (and maybe Amazon).
Badge
Thanks to both of you.... so if I am reading this correctly:

1. As for joining Sonos speakers to Amazon groups, I am SOL (pending the ever-anticipated firmware update)

2. I can join one Sonos speaker to another, and administer that through the app on my phone; or

3. I can tap the top of a Sonos speaker to have it join a speaker which is already playing....

THANKS
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes that is correct.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I find much less frustration, disappointment and puzzlement, by avoiding all voice controlled everything. The app works well, and never misunderstands me 🙂