BBC News using Alexa stuck on loop.

• 9 April 2021
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Whenever I launch BBC sounds app using Alexa, everything seems to work smoothly. Except for the news. Whenever I ask for the interactive BBC News, you hear the introduction and the summary of the news (about 30 seconds) and then it repeats the same 30 seconds over and over indefinitely until you ask to stop it. I have Alexa on an echo dot, on my Sonos One and on Sonos Arc. The Echo Dot has no problems. This issue only happens on Sonos One and Arc. I’ve tried everyting. Reset the sonos, reset the router, logged in and out of my accounts. Nothing works. Any advice?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you tried Disabling and then Enabling the BBC sounds and Sonos skills?

Hiya, yes I have just done both. And in fact, I created another username to log on to BBC sounds app to see if it would help. No avail :pensive:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is this via a Routine?  I have a problem with my News Flash not playing correctly in a routine triggered by the cancellation of an alarm in the morning.  This stopped working about 2 weeks ago and Amazon have partially admitted that there is a bug stopping it from working correctly.

No routine. I ask for it at completely random times. And it hasn’t worked for nearly half a year now. I just can’t find a solution for it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @emoz 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Although this seems like a fault at our end because other devices play without issue, this is actually just because the BBC maintain a separate server for Sonos users. I recommend you get in touch with Alexa and BBC support, as the issue is either with the Alexa BBC Sounds Skill addressing the server incorrectly, or the BBC News HLS stream on the BBC’s Sonos server has a problem.

Hi @Corry P 

Thanks for this. I will try your recommendation.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just to chime in on this - I too am finding this an issue, however my setup is that I am using an Echo Dot to invoke BBC News (by saying Alexa, get me BBC News) and then the audio is being played on some ceiling speakers connected to an AMP - this only started doing it when the BBC opened up the audio playback to third-party connected speakers (like when you say to Alexa ‘Play Music’ and it plays on a Sonos device rather than the Echo speaker you talk to).

TL;DR it’s a BBC issue that they need to fix

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mayhew132 

Thanks for the info!