Answered

Australia - “Apple Music is not available in your country”

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge

When you say you inlinked your device within the Alexa IOS app, do you mean deregister?, cause i cant seem to find a way on inlinkingYes, I de-registered. It took me a few attempts before it unlinked/deregistered. I also went in to the Sonos App, and under the Voice Control section I removed Amazon Alexa.

Everything for me - so far - is working flawlessly on the One that I have set up.

I have a Beam and another 3 x One's to set up yet so will let you know how I go tomorrow...

Thank you for the update! I’ll try these steps and see how it goes.

When you say you inlinked your device within the Alexa IOS app, do you mean deregister?, cause i cant seem to find a way on inlinkingYes, I de-registered. It took me a few attempts before it unlinked/deregistered. I also went in to the Sonos App, and under the Voice Control section I removed Amazon Alexa.

Everything for me - so far - is working flawlessly on the One that I have set up.

I have a Beam and another 3 x One's to set up yet so will let you know how I go tomorrow...

Ensure, post setup, that you get Alexa to scan to find your new devices, if necessary. Also remember to add the Alexa voice service to each of your Sonos Rooms, for the Sonos products that support voice assistants (Sonos One/Beam) and then when all the 'Household' is up and running, perhaps look at setting up “Alexa Enabled Groups” for grouping/ungrouping of Sonos Rooms automatically, via Alexa Control.

This thread from Ryan S. at Sonos, that discusses the grouping features, is worth a read a little later down the line...

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-now-playing-with-alexa-groups-6817588

Enjoy your new Sonos System.
Badge
OKAY - I'VE GOT IT WORKING.

I am brand new to Sonos so forgive me if a few of these steps weren't necessary, but all I can tell you is it is working.

I removed my device (unlinked) from within the Alexa iOS app
On the Sonos App, I turned off Alex voice control
I deleted the Alexa iOS app
I re-downloaded the Alexa app
Via the Sonos App, I initiated the Alexa set up
I signed in as normal
Once the device was set up, I was able to command Alexa by saying "Alexa, play Tina Turner in the Lounge" or "Alexa play Energy by Burns, ASAP Rocky in the Lounge"

I got a bit sick of having to say "... in the Lounge" and I found that if under the iOS Alexa app, you create a group (I created one called Lounge), I now just say "Alexa, play music" or "Alexa play music by Adele" and she goes off and does it ("Adele from Apple Music").

It seems to work, so now I may set up my other Sonos devices and hope for the best....

I just tried those steps and unfortunately it still doesn’t work for me. I still have the same issue where it plays via Amazon Music or, when I specifically ask to play via Apple Music, Alexa responds ‘I could not find that on Apple Music’ no matter who or what you ask to play.

Hopefully whatever Sonos claim to be doing now will fix it soon!
Badge +1
Well, ive been at it for most of the day so far and as yet, have still not had any success. Ive followed Joshua's instructions multiple times and still cannot get Alexa to play any music at all.

And when I say at all, i mean at all. Not on Apple music. not on Spotify and not on Amazon music ( at least with the free trials that i just opened up on both of those services.

So, it appears that Alexa will simply not play any music on my sonos at all.....

grrrr
AussieSonosUseXCX & ithuliel,

The thing you need to do is is have your chosen 'native' music App running on your Sonos controller device... so that’s Apple Music or Spotify or whatever music service is now available to your country. Make sure it’s signed into a premium account, with a monthly/yearly subscription or trial that is active.

Next install the exact same music service and account within the Sonos Controller App and make sure you can play/stream music using the Sonos App to your speakers. It must be working before moving onto the next step.

Install the Amazon Alexa App and ensure the App is logged into your Amazon Account. You will then go onto install two “skills” ...start with your 'music skill', like Apple Music for example... once this service is installed you need to set it as the default music service in the Alexa App “Settings/Music” section. Now it’s time to run your next test... check by either using your Alexa App on the mobile device, or via an echo device, that you can control the installed music service with your voice using Alexa. This needs to be working before you move to the next step.

With everything working so far, you now need to install the Sonos Skill into the Alexa App. You will be invited to sign in and agree to share details between your Sonos Account and your Amazon Account in order to continue and on completion Alexa will scan for your Sonos devices on your local network and install them in the Alexa App.. they will appear under the devices section... just check that all were discovered and installed correctly. You may find they also get placed into default “Alexa Enabled Groups” ... they can be moved later, if you want to, but just keeping things simple leave them where they are for now.

Were almost there... now goto the Sonos App “Room Settings” for your Sonos One and/or Beam devices and in there you will see a voice services section and the option to “Add a voice service” ... Here you can manually add the Alexa Voice Service to your Sonos Speaker. So do that and you can then speak to Alexa on that speaker and control your music.

When it comes to grouping/ungrouping and implicit/explicit control of your speakers using Alexa, then it’s best to read through some of the articles on this forum.

You may find these four links helpful with setup and grouping etc....

Setting up Amazon Alexa on Sonos

Setup Sonos One/Beam with Amazon Alexa

Controlling your Sonos System with Amazon Alexa

Sonos and Amazon Alexa Enabled Groups

And of course if you still run into any difficulties you can always contact Sonos Customer Care.

Hope that helps to get you up and running with your Sonos System.
Badge +1
Hi @AussieSonosUserXCX and @ithuliel

Did you speak to Sonos? Did you manage to get yourselves up and running?

Mine appears to be working well, the only thing I can't seem to do is ask Alexa to play in specific spots "Alexa, play music" (all speakers play). Let's say I want to stop the bedroom speaker "Alexa, stop playing music in the bedroom" and then the lounge room carries on. If I want the bedroom to pick up where the lounge left off, Alexa starts either a custom Apple Music station, or a random library track, I can't get her to "resume" the other speaker.

Hoping you guys get it working if you haven't already... if you want to PM me I am happy to run through or take screenshots of my setup or anything you need.
Badge +1
I have noticed that "Alexa, play chill out music" or similar, Alexa will play a track that fits that genre/radio, but she will repeat the same track over and over, until I say "Alexa, skip this track"... it seems my perfection wasn't short lived...

Time to get on the phone tomorrow to Sonos!

Did either of you have any luck today?
Badge +1
I followed Kens instructions andhad some success, but coincidentally, a second Sonos I had ordered last week arrived, so I decided to start all over again, de-register everything and try again fresh. Having set up the Sonos Ones as a stereo pair, adding Alexa seemed to work seemlesly. Boh speakers now have Alexa enabled and plays Apple Music flawlessly.I havent had a problem with them since then.

My only problem now seems to be that my children have decided they would rather use Spotify, instead of Apple Music....

So.... here we go again....
Badge
I followed @Ken_Griffiths instructions and have found that I’m stuck at the first step of adding the Apple Music skill to Alexa and testing that. I still have the same issue - the Echo Dots I have around the house play music from Amazon Music, despite Apple Music being set as the default, or they respond with “I could not find that on Apple Music” for all requests.

I assume, then, that this is an Alexa issue rather than a Sonos issue, as I’ve removed Sonos from the equation completely and Alexa still isn’t playing Apple Music.