Question

"Audio actions in routines unsupported", but Alexa on Sonos One runs them anyway

• 20 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 25 replies
Hi there,

I'm a new Sonos user with a Sonos One and have encountered strange behavior with Alexa when trying to run routines. I currently have a routine set up via the Alexa app which runs when I say "Alexa, good morning" - it turns on the lights in my living room, gives me the weather and my calendar for the day.

When I say "Good morning" to Alexa on Sonos One, the following actions occur:
- The lights in my living room turn on
- She says "Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device"
- She tells me the weather
- She gives me my calendar entries for the day

I have read in previous threads that routines are not supported on Sonos One, but clearly, as we can see above, Alexa is able to run my routine it in its entirety. Why am I still getting this error even when it seems to run perfectly?

Any ideas?

Thanks 😃

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

This also worked for me for a while. I could even play the flash briefing.. then after 2 days it started like described above, and then it just shut down completely.. no routines at all.

It is obviously possible.. why can’t amazon and Sonos cooperate to get this working?!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/a0bqdx/potential_workaround_for_audio_actions_in/

here is a possible work around I found on reddit... just wondering if any one has tried it... below I am pasting whats on the link from above for your convenience:

Posted byu/Dontcallmetiger7 months ago
Potential Workaround for “Audio actions in routines are not currently supported on this device”
[img]https://www.redditstatic.com/desktop2x/img/renderTimingPixel.png[/img]

I have a Sonos One and a Beam that control hue lights, ecobee, harmony hub, etc. I got tired of hearing that phrase when I use my “Good Night” routine or routines involving my harmony hub (such as saying “Netflix” instead of “Turn on Netflix”) so I started experimenting. Routines work fine with specific device control but introducing a scene or group results in the “Audio actions blah blah blah” message.
I found that if you use Yonomi to create the scene, then create the routine in Alexa and call the Yonomi scene, that it works without the message.
So creating a routine in the Alexa app that directly calls the harmony hub scene “Netflix” will result in “Audio actions . . .” But creating a routine in the Alexa app that calls the Yonomi scene that calls the harmony hub scene “Netflix” works without the “Audio actions . . .” message.
I have no idea why but I found this after a few hours of testing and thought I’d share.