Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device.

• 5 December 2018
  • 78 replies

Userlevel 3
I have set up a simple 2 step routing to turn on two smart plugs simultaneously through Alexa. This works 100% find on a dot but I get an audio recording of "Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device" every time I run it from my Sonos One. How do I make this irritation go away!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

78 replies

Userlevel 2
Unfortunately it is down to Sonos fixing the Alexa integration which they seem to have no intention of doing. There are other things that dont work on Sonos that are also frustrating such as drop-in. I am seriously considering giving up and going for an Show or plugging an Echo dot into a separate speaker which is a real shame since I have been with Sonos since they launched in the UK. Who knows if we get lucky they may actually read this and try to do something about it..:D As a go to man for things like thiscwith my friends my current advice to people is avoid Sonos. :(:?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi both

Amazon have two standards: Alexa devices and Alexa Enabled devices - Non Amazon products are always Alexa Enabled devices and have a slightly reduced level of functionality, as do Amazon's own Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. It has nothing to do with 'Sonos having no intention of fixing their Alexa integration.' Drop-in is an example of a function currently only supported on Alexa devices.

With regards to the OP's issue, I suspect that you may have duplicate device names within your Alexa Set-up, please check your Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices. The Sonos One can initiate Routines without issue, I do it all the time but with a limitation, as for all Alexa Enabled devices, that you can't initiate a Routine that plays an Audio output on a device.
Userlevel 3
I don't have any duplicate devices. It's a real pity since we wanted to use Sonos throughout our home instread of Alexa speakers/dots due to the sound quality. We had bought a Play One to trial this and it clearly does not work and I'm not putting up with that irritating message for each routine (even though the routine works 100% fine bar this quirk). Regardless of whether or not it is an Amazon or Sonos issue, Sonos should really try to address this in the interests of their customers. Now I need to find alternatives speakers for my home, the Sonos were so close to being perfect. Frustrating!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I don't have any duplicate devices. It's a real pity since we wanted to use Sonos throughout our home instread of Alexa speakers/dots due to the sound quality. We had bought a Play One to trial this and it clearly does not work and I'm not putting up with that irritating message for each routine (even though the routine works 100% fine bar this quirk). Regardless of whether or not it is an Amazon or Sonos issue, Sonos should really try to address this in the interests of their customers. Now I need to find alternatives speakers for my home, the Sonos were so close to being perfect. Frustrating!

Hi

If the only devices in the Routine are smart switches then this isn't working as my system - I get no message for my Routines. Can you try Disabling the Sonos Skill and then Re-Enabling in the Alexa App and then ask Alexa to Discover Devices.
Userlevel 3
Done that. Still does not work.
Userlevel 1
It’s absolutely ridiculous that this doesn’t work. I’ve just bought three Sonos Ones to replace three play 1s and an amazon echo

I didn’t realise they lacked this functionality and hasn’t even got to the part of realising that they also can’t do drop in.

Absolutely pointless product and they should uodate their advertising/marketing material to reflect what it can actually do being a so called “Alexa enabled device”

Garbage
Userlevel 3
Luckily I only bought one! Hopefully some manufacturer can get this right at some point, although I can see the day when Amazon release a high end audio device for £200/$200 and sweeps the market away.
Userlevel 2
Luckily I only bought one! Hopefully some manufacturer can get this right at some point, although I can see the day when Amazon release a high end audio device for £200/$200 and sweeps the market away. yes..Sonos need to up their game I agree. Before I bought my Sonos Ones I rang them to verify that the early shortcomings had been sorted out. I was told that they can do everything that an Echo can do. Obviously, the lady I spoke to was not up-to-speed. Disappointed to say the least. This will be the last ourchase from Sonos which is sad because they always delivered in the past and I was there from the outset. Sadly they are being left behind.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Luckily I only bought one! Hopefully some manufacturer can get this right at some point, although I can see the day when Amazon release a high end audio device for £200/$200 and sweeps the market away. yes..Sonos need to up their game I agree. Before I bought my Sonos Ones I rang them to verify that the early shortcomings had been sorted out. I was told that they can do everything that an Echo can do. Obviously, the lady I spoke to was not up-to-speed. Disappointed to say the least. This will be the last ourchase from Sonos which is sad because they always delivered in the past and I was there from the outset. Sadly they are being left behind.

Whilst I agree that the gaps Voice Control has in functionality between native Echo devices and Alexa Enabled devices is frustrating, your comment 'Sadly they are being left behind.' is way off the mark. The multi room audio quality is by far the best I've experienced for the price and when Google Assistant is supported and the Sonos devices become Ai agnostic they will be well ahead of the field.
Userlevel 3
Badge
So I get this issue too when running a routine to turn off/on my lightwaverf lights. Randomly if I'm downstairs my sonos one stereo pair do not return the audio error. My stereo one pair upstairs do return the error. In both cases the lights do turn on/off. I don't care who's fault it is someone really needs to fix it.
Userlevel 1
Another +1 here. Our Sonos Beam Alexa says this every time we run any routine. We have an old Dot that simply replies with "okay" when the same routines are run through it. I realize that this problem may lie more on the Alexa / 3rd party side of things, but I hope they all get it worked out since it drives us crazy.
Same problem here, that message "Audio actions in routines are currently not supported on this device" is so irritating, that iam not using routines. I dont understandent why we get the message, if all tasks in routines are done correctly afterward. Can you please respond sonos? Iam thinking about turningoff microphone and use dot rather.but then there is no point for buying beam.
I have the same problem. It was working fine but now they (amazon or sonos) changed something in the updates this month and I get that message now. very poor on both company's side. THIS WAS WORKING and I have changed no settings
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem. It was working fine but now they (amazon or sonos) changed something in the updates this month and I get that message now. very poor on both company's side. THIS WAS WORKING and I have changed no settings

You are experiencing the joys of cloud computing... Functionality is now split between the Sonos App, Sonos Skill, and Alexa - and in some cases music service organisations as well. Sonos will develop some aspects independently of Amazon and likewise, Amazon will do the same where competitive pressures apply. I suggest that you Disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App and then Enable again.
Hi
I have already tried that but did not cure the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi
I have already tried that but did not cure the problem.

What is your routine attempting to do? Sonos doesn't support its devices being included in Routines currently, but you can trigger a routine on a Sonos One to output Audio on to an Echo device.
turning off lights, turn off AVR, turn off DVR and turn off TV all worked fine last month with no audio message
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
turning off lights, turn off AVR, turn off DVR and turn off TV all worked fine last month with no audio message

I believe there may be a bug with the Beam that has recently caused this, do you have one? (My Sonos One is working fine with Routines - not much help to you sorry) If a Sonos One is the Alexa device, where are you located?
Hi
Thanks for all the replies, great community here :)
I don't have a Beam and I live in the UK. The thing thats driving me mad is that it worked fine just a few weeks ago.
Userlevel 1
I agree that the Alexa integration needs to be much better, I’m very disappointed with that experience. I’d also love to be able to use it to group rooms to play music too but it doesn’t look like any progress is being made with that either.
I agree that the Alexa integration needs to be much better, I’m very disappointed with that experience. I’d also love to be able to use it to group rooms to play music too but it doesn’t look like any progress is being made with that either.

I suggest you read this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-now-playing-with-alexa-groups-6817588
What I find peculiar is that despite saying it's "not supported on this device", it still works: https://twitter.com/customeroutrage/status/1083697659456770048
I believe I have figured out the problem. My Alexa-enabled Ecobee4 does the same thing. If you have a routine called “goodnight” which turns off all your lights, a true Amazon Alexa device will turn off all your lights AND say “goodnight, sleep tight” (or something similar). Our Sonos (or Ecobee4) are merely “Alexa-enabled” and aren’t full features Alexa devices. And they hit a brick wall with attempted conversation. If you create an identicle routine, with a nonsense name (“Waffle House”), your routine will be completed without a failed attempt to respond to you / the error message. Let me know if you think I’m right. But after a bit of research, it’s what I think I’ve figured out.
I believe I have figured out the problem. My Alexa-enabled Ecobee4 does the same thing. If you have a routine called “goodnight” which turns off all your lights, a true Amazon Alexa device will turn off all your lights AND say “goodnight, sleep tight” (or something similar). Our Sonos (or Ecobee4) are merely “Alexa-enabled” and aren’t full features Alexa devices. And they hit a brick wall with attempted conversation. If you create an identicle routine, with a nonsense name (“Waffle House”), your routine will be completed without a failed attempt to respond to you / the error message. Let me know if you think I’m right. But after a bit of research, it’s what I think I’ve figured out.

I just tried your exact example - changing my “turn off lamps” routine to “Waffle House”. The lamps turned off, but still the same phrase stating she didn’t support what she’d just done.
I just tried your exact example - changing my “turn off lamps” routine to “Waffle House”. The lamps turned off, but still the same phrase stating she didn’t support what she’d just done.Yes, I’m seeing the same on my Sonos devices too, the simple answer would perhaps be for Amazon to remove this response.