"Audio Actions and Routines" now *working* on Sonos devices?

• 9 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I just triggered an Alexa routine on my Move that ends in an audio response. Up until now I always got the “audio actions and routines are currently not supported on this device” message, whether Alexa decided to respond as programmed or not. 

But today, she didn’t argue with me at all. She just very pleasantly responded like she was speaking through an Amazon Echo device. I tried it on my Beam. Same thing. And on my Sonos Ones as well.

Am I losing my mind or has the Alexa integration on Sonos devices gotten a big improvement or something? Does anyone know if there are other things she’ll do on my speakers that she wouldn’t before?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @scolford

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information about Alexa routines and Sonos.

Alexa allows you to control Sonos with your voice to play music, adjust volume, skip tracks, and even get the weather, all through your Sonos speakers. In case Alexa will not perform the command, basic troubleshooting steps are being performed like removing and re-adding voice assistant on the Sonos app.

Sonos voice-enabled products support Alexa routines. To make it work, it should be configured in the Alexa app on your mobile device to create routines that automate how your compatible Echo devices and smart home devices work together. There are no settings in the Sonos app to configure Alexa routines. If Alexa routines will not work on Sonos, this could be network communication between your Echo device and Sonos. 

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, I'll be glad to assist you. 

Badge +1

@Rowena B. I think you didn't understand my post or something. I'm not asking about a problem I'm having. I'm just saying that a known integration limitation doesn't seem to still be in place. (That's a great thing, not an issue.) I was just looking for confirmation from other users or Sonos staff.

Sonos added support for Alexa routines recently with update 12.1, however I have not been able to get my Beam to stop playing music with a routine. Anyone know how this should work? 

Badge +1

@The Nadz I use my Harmony Hub to control certain audio-related routines like my "shower radio" routine that plays the local NPR station in the bathroom and bedroom at set volumes. It shows up as a scene I can control with Alexa and "turning off" the scene stops playback. That's the only way I've found to do it reliably.