Answered

ARC (when playing TV via ARC) goes quiet for ~15 seconds after Alexa command.

• 10 December 2022
  • 30 replies

Badge

My setup: ARC + 2 x oneSL (surround.)  My ARC is defined as a Speaker in Alexa.  It is not in the same group as the Echo.

When watching TV, if I say ‘Alexa turn on lights’ - it does - and provides audio feedback via Echo speaker.  BUT, then the sound coming from ARC goes and stays very low for ~15 seconds before returning to normal.  If I say ‘Alexa stop’ during this period, the volume pops right back up.  This seems to happen if the music is coming from the Echo as well (though, in this case, saying ‘echo stop’ actually stops the music too.)

My Echo is located behind my head, close to me, and it is the one that answers - not the Sonos speaker, when I talk to it.  Alexa audio playback happens, as desired, on the Sonos.

Thanks for any and all assistance in fixing this uniquely annoying issue.

icon

Best answer by yossie 12 December 2022, 20:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

I have disabled followup on my Echo (Devices->Echo and Alexa->Living Room Echo->GEAR->Follow-up Mode - OFF.

Where is “Arc Alexa component” to be found?  My ARC has no voice assistant defined at this time so the ARC shows up in Alexa as a Speaker connected Via Sonos with no GEAR.

Ah yes, didn’t you uninstall that component?

Whilst it’s not installed you cannot add it to the first section controlling area of the Alexa enabled group - it’s a component that is usually embedded inside the speaker room name in the device list - give me a minute and I will see if I can create an animation to post here to show you precisely what you should see… i may need to edit things though to hide my address etc. 

So my Arc is called ‘Living Room’ and in the animation it’s shown with a green arrow in the Alexa device list - if I select it, it then shows the Alexa component (embedded) called ‘Sonos Living Room Alexa’ (the name I assigned to it) so that’s where you will see the follow-up mode as ‘off’ for that device, but it needs the assistant in place to put the Arc - Living Room - into the controlling section of the Alexa ‘enabled’ Group. Hope that makes sense and that the ‘rough & ready’ animation attached is self explanatory.

@yossie,
You can perhaps refer back to my much earlier post to see where ‘Living Room’ (Arc) is placed in the controlling area of the Alexa Group (screenshot).

In my use-case, the Arc just ‘ducks’ the playing audio the same as the echo device, to hear the user voice instruction and then the TV audio returns immediately with little, or no, delay - there’s no 15s delay and it certainly does not stay ducked any longer than the echo dot in my setup.

Badge

So my Arc is called ‘Living Room’ and in the animation it’s shown with a green arrow in the Alexa device list.

Meaning that you have Alexa voice assistant installed on the ARC.  I don’t.  I am trying to use it as a speaker only.  I will keep on trying..

So my Arc is called ‘Living Room’ and in the animation it’s shown with a green arrow in the Alexa device list.

Meaning that you have Alexa voice assistant installed on the ARC.  I don’t.  I am trying to use it as a speaker only.  I will keep on trying..

You ‘might’ have to disable the speaker in the Alexa App to achieve the non-ducking outcome in that case, but anyhow hope you manage to sort it.👍