Answered

Any news on the "Alexa voice too loud" problem?

• 24 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi. Newbie here. I just bought a 2nd Gen Sonus One and I'm SOOOOOO disappointed. The sound is superb for such a small piece of kit but… the insanely high volume of Alexa's voice in relation to music means we simply can't bear to use Alexa at all, so we're just using the One as a mini speaker with no smart functionality.  What a waste.

I can see this is a problem for many people on here: if you turn the volume down so Alexa's voice isn't shaking the walls, then your music/content is inaudible. And if you play your music at an average volume, then Alexa can be heard at the end of the road!

It's so obvious that you should be able to control the level of Alexa’s (or Google Assistant's) voice seperately from the level of your music. But no.

I read an old post on here saying that new firmware in “May/June" would address this. June is nearly over… Does anyone have any info?

Thanks for any help.

icon

Best answer by Steakroid 10 July 2020, 08:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Boz53,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your thoughts about Voice Assistant on both Alexa and Google assistant and I agree.

While I don’t yet see or have any information on specifically adjusting the Voice Assistant volume in Sonos, I was able to enable “Whisper Mode” on my Alexa through the Alexa app.

In the Alexa app, Settings > Voice Responses> Whisper Mode.

The down side is that it only activates if you whisper your command to Alexa, she otherwise responds at full volume. 

I will be sure to make your voice heard and pass your feedback along to our development team.    

Userlevel 2

Thank you. Yes, I know about Whisper Mode. It’s really not very helpful.  What we need is the ability to control Alexa’s voice level SEPERATELY from the level of the audio content being played. It should be very simple to do!  Thanks.

New Sonos 1 with Alexa, also. 

I use the device in the house whilst others sleep and whilst I can’t hear the music-audio from the other room with the doors open, I can hear the AI clear-as-day even with two doors closed between. It’s waking people up!

Surely the very least the device should do is align the AI voice volume to the device volume? An ideal solution would of course allow for the AI voices to be set independently of the Playback volume.

Userlevel 2

Eaxactly!!!