Question

Amazon Echo Show Compatability

• 30 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I’ve searched all over and can’t find a full answer.

Is Sonos compatible with the Echo Show in terms of display? I realize that Sonos and Alexa “work together,” but does the Show display anything music related on it when you are playing music?

My parents have all Google Home products, but I know that their Hub displays album art and song info when it is playing Pandora. This isn’t a dealbreaker, but it would be nice to see it displayed if possible.

Everything I read just talks about Sonos integration with Alexa. But my understanding of that just means I can tell Alexa to play music and doesn’t refer to a display of any sort.

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

At this time, no artwork in this way of use; the only way to get it is to wire connect the Echo to  line in jacks, if you have those on your Sonos.

There probably isn't a deep technical reason as to why this can't be done, so hopefully it will be added soon. In these days of easily being able to access new music, relevant artwork display of what is playing is very useful, I find; asking the Echo what is playing can often be very clumsy. It was not that necessary in the past where much of the music being played was familiar music from owned CDs ripped to a NAS. Since I have Echo Show/Spot wire connected to Sonos, the display is always there, and is very useful. Wire it to a play 5, group the 5 with other speakers and you will get artwork for what is playing on all.

And with an Echo Show 5, getting such a display isn't expensive and overcomes what is still, in my book, an important missing feature in Sonos generally. Untethering the display from the line in jacks will therefore be an excellent way of overcoming this lack.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the reply. To make sure I fully understand, are you saying that if I connect one Echo device to a Sonos speaker, then all of the associated Echo devices will display the artwork and song info?

I do have two Play:5 speakers that I could connect either a Show or a Spot to relatively easily. I’m not sure if it matters, but most all of my Sonos speakers are at least 6 or 7 years old.

I think I’ll pull the trigger on an Echo Show and see how it works.

Thanks again for the reply and Happy New Year!

A happy 2020 to you too! I suggest picking up the Show 5, if artwork display is the most important use for it, because at its price it is a good deal.

What I know for sure I get is artwork display on one Show wired connected to Sonos Line In, with music playing on all Sonos grouped speakers. What you ask may work if all Show units, including the ones connected to a Sonos Line in, are grouped together in a Alexa app established Echo group; but I can't say for sure, not having tried it. You will have to mute the ones that are standalone, because their output will not be in sync with that of Sonos speakers.

The Sonos speaker age does not matter in this case.