Amazon Echo Hub Integration

• 24 February 2024
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 2

I recently got the new Amazon echo hub. It is a small tablet designed to be mounted on the wall and used for smart home control. it has Alexa inside of it, so voice control of Sonos works. But it’s media control capabilities don’t work. This means I can’t control Sonos from the touchscreen. Of course this will work perfectly with an echo speaker. And doing a little bit of research. It looks like Sonos needs to update their skill to add support for some new API’s that will allow Sonos to show up in the active media app on this device as well as the Show devices. 

21 replies

Same problem here. Please add this function, so that we can control Sonos speakers via the Echo Hub Touchscreen in the near future. 

Yes please Sonos could you update the skill as it would be great to have full integration with the new Echo Hub. To be honest I thought it would already have it but was disappointed to find out it didn’t.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sorry, but to integrate such a control would be on Amazons side. Sonos offers its API that can be used to control the system. 
But Amazon at the moment doesn‘t use that to integrate Sonos control. Seems they just want to support control of their own echo speakers. 
Skills are a possibility just to implement Alexa based voice commands. 
You have to differ between voice assistant and direct audio system control. 

Userlevel 2

Sorry, but to integrate such a control would be on Amazons side. Sonos offers its API that can be used to control the system. 
But Amazon at the moment doesn‘t use that to integrate Sonos control. Seems they just want to support control of their own echo speakers. 
Skills are a possibility just to implement Alexa based voice commands. 
You have to differ between voice assistant and direct audio system control. 

I don’t think this is true. It looks like Sonos has to extend its skill to support Alexa Presentation Language (APL); this adds the GUI content for the Alexas with screens. https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/alexa-presentation-language/apl-for-screen-devices.html

It also looks like Sonos isn’t using all the latest feature in the Media Playback APIs:

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/music-skills/msk-latest-version.html

While they’re at it, they should write their app so it works for control and display on Apple TVs, Google Home display devices, Samsung Smart refrigerators, Android based TVs, Tizen based TVs, and maintain the constant updates to each controller as these ‘standards’ evolve. 

I don’t think this is all that clear cut as to whether Amazon or Sonos is responsible for the integration.  It used to be that I could go into the Alexa app and see what’s playing on my Sonos speakers, as well as basic operation.  It’s been a while since I’ve looked at that, and never really used it, but I don’t see that feature anymore. I can’t even see what’s playing on echo devices, again though, I never use this so perhaps I’m not looking at the right place.

Anyway, I also assumed that basic music control would work out of the box with the echo hub.  Disappointed that it does not.  I don’t know whether Sonos or Amazon needs to make modifications to the existing interface, or if it’s a case where Amazon isn’t even allowing 3rd party speakers to be visible/controlled through the interface.  I’m likely going to get a hub regardless and it would be a big positive if Sonos integration feature was there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Imho Amazon doesn’t want other audio systems to be controlled directly with their Alexa app. 
Even Sonos integration from within Amazon music app is done via Alexa cloud what means a limited quality. 

Typical finger pointing by Sonos. 

if you would make this work, I would be inclined to buy more Sonos products. But at this point, I’m thinking I’m gonna sell all of my Sonos products and buy Alexa products. I got in bed with Sonos more than 10 years ago and had been very happy with the products. 

I have been to satisfied since the Sonos S2 app came out and did not support some of my older products. Of course Sonos offers to give you a discount if you return some of your older products and buy new ones, thereby giving them more profits rather than helping the customer. 

I tried Apple HOME To control my Sonos products only to find that the older ones weren’t supported. Again, a Sonos issue.

Time for Sonos to put the Customer first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sorry, but I can’t understand why people think every kind of different system can be controlled by each other in such an easy way. Imho the best way to use and control a system is the software that is made by the devices manufacturer. 
It‘s like running windows on a mac… in some way it works with limitations, but you won’t be happy with it at all. 
just my 2 cents… 

I appreciate your response, honestly.

My background is in IT. I know from experience that companies are not motivated to interface with other software products. The profit is just not there, so I do understand to some extent why these products don’t interface the ball together.

Often times software is released before all of the bugs are worked out. This is so they could begin making money, and then put a little bit of effort back into the software. In my opinion, it’s never enough.

I think Apple does the best job with their software on their phones, computers …etc. however, their purchasing software leaves a lot to be desired.  Walmart has the best apps.

Sonos software leaves a lot to be desired on its own.

Thanks again for your response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I looked into this a few years ago, when my Alexa Skill for Sonos was still a thing. The Skill APIs at the time were insufficient for a Sonos “Now Playing” display to be functional. The biggest problem was of course no local network access (Alexa Skill limitation), which meant the Sonos cloud API would be necessary. My Skill was using that, so not a blocker in itself. The cloud API is too lame for this, UNLESS you own a music service (eg Spotify), you know what, I don’t own a music service.

This was a few years ago but I doubt anything has changed (and I KNOW the Sonos cloud API is still too lame for this use case).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Amazon does own a music service, though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Amazon does own a music service, though.

Indeed, but Sonos users expect more than one music service to be supported by associated products.

My echo hub comes on Monday. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I received and installed my hub. 

I was able to get Sonos to work with radio stations but what I really need is the ability to play my extensive library of music. 

Sonos!!!!!!  How about it!!

I was able to get Sonos to work with radio stations but what I really need is the ability to play my extensive library of music. 

You mean you can play Sonos Radios? But can you also play Sonos playlists? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s not ever happening, with Alexa anyway, as it all runs in the cloud which knows nothing about your local library.

No, no playlists from my library. 

just because Alexis is in the cloud it doesn’t mean that Sonos couldn’t put together some thing that would play your library or at least playlists.

all they have to do is get their IT team to focus on it. Which will never happen.

I am seriously considering switching out all of my Sonos speakers for Alexa. It still wouldn’t play my music library but at least the Alexa speakers would work better with the hub. I think

if you know, anyone interested in buying all my Sonos stuff please ask them to send me a message

I am seriously considering switching out all of my Sonos speakers for Alexa. It still wouldn’t play my music library but at least the Alexa speakers would work better with the hub. I think

The problem is that ‘Alexa’ speakers aren’t a patch on Sonos!!

I just wish Sonos and Amazon could collaborate on fixing the issue instead of blaming each other.

The problem is that ‘Alexa’ speakers aren’t a patch on Sonos!!

I just wish Sonos and Amazon could collaborate on fixing the issue instead of blaming each other.

I don’t really see much of Sonos blaming Amazon for anything or vice versa.  What users are stating here are just their own opinions, as well as understanding of how the current interface(s) work….in contrast to expectations that everything should just work the way I want it to.

No value add. 

of course we want it to work the way we want to. Remember, we are the customer.