Amazon Alexa App - Smart Home Devices & Scenes

• 8 November 2017
  • 2 replies

In the past week or so, Amazon have updated the smart home section of the iOS Amazon Alexa App (see screenshots) and there is currently no way to 'forget' existing devices or scenes. That feature has been replaced with an option to enable/disable a device or scene. It’s not as tidy as the previous version of the app in my humble opinion, but I assume that things are not yet complete with the software update at this moment in time.

I have now discovered that it is still possible to 'forget' smart home devices and scenes however by going to the online web portal version of the app which is located here for UK users:

https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html (note it is perhaps best to access this via a PC, as you may find a mobile browser will try to launch the mobile app instead, albeit there are ways to resolve this which I won’t go into at this time).

...Anyhow, the web portal still has the 'forget' option and so any devices etc. can still be removed or forgotten here.

Hopefully Amazon will restore the 'forget' option soon in the iOS Alexa App, or provide some way of removing devices or scenes that are no longer required.

I hope sharing this information may prove of use to some others, until the app is fixed and once again allows the removal of smart home devices.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Thanks for sharing this, Ken. Great find!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There is one side effect of this, which Ken and I have discussed and is also probably the reason that Amazon removed the 'Forget All' command from the iOS and Android Apps. If you have set-up any Routines within the Alexa App, then the 'Forget All' command will delete ALL actions from ALL Routines...