Amazon Alexa and Sonos Arc

• 3 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi 

Had the Arc (and Alexa) working fine for a few months now. Noticed today that Alexa isn’t functioning properly. Ie, says ok if you ask it to to turn tv off/on, but it doesn’t carry out the task. 

I’ve removed and r enabled Alexa from the Sonia app. Also confirmed Arc still listed in Bravia sync list.

Is there anything else I should try? 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Steve Stacey, welcome back!

Sounds like your Amazon Alexa has lost connection with the Amazon Alexa Cloud.

Please have a look at this very helpful Support Article in regards to Alexa commands not working on Sonos and most importantly the below point which is going to refresh the connection between your Sonos and Amazon Alexa Cloud:

Re-enable the Sonos skill

Open the Alexa app and tap on the More menu in the bottom right. Tap on Skills & Games > Your Skills > Sonos > Disable Skill. Once disabled, tap on Enable Skill.

If the above does not resolve your issue, please follow the instructions on the Advanced Fixes from the Support Article on how to completely remove and re-add Amazon Alexa from Sonos.

Let us know if that worked and feel free to reply if you have any more questions.

I hope this helps.

Badge +2

Thanks. I don’t have the Alexa app but can download and try that fix. As stated above, I’ve already removed and re added Alexa to the Sonos Arc.

Badge +2

Hi

Update

Have installed Alexa app, connected to Sonia, removed and added Skill etc. Still the same problem. Either says “don’t understand TV as a device or group name”.. When you say turn television in, it says ok but does nothing.

Something has definitely occurred in last few days to cause this.

Tearing my hair out now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @Steve Stacey,

Thank you for the quick update.

First thing that comes to mind is that your TV as a smart device is not recognizable to Amazon Alexa and might not be up to date. Make sure your TV is on the latest firmware and the HDMI-CEC setting enabled.

I found the following guide from Sony: Adjusting HDMI CEC settings , you can try disabling and then re-enabling the HDMI-CEC setting,

I would also suggest a hard reboot on your TV, removing the power cable for a couple minutes and then plugging it back in.

If you are still not able to turn off the TV using Amazon Alexa, I recommend to Submit Diagnostics via the Sonos App within 10 minutes of issuing the command and then reach out to our Sonos Support for some live troubleshooting.

I hope this helps.

Badge +2

Hi

Ironically, there was a software update for the Sony. Did that (and all the other steps highlighted above) but computer stop say no, More precisely, “sorry, I don’t recognise group or device”., when asking to turn tv off. If you say turn television off, it says ok but does nothing.

Will start diagnostic thing.

Thanks