Amazon Alexa and multiple sonos systems

• 20 December 2017
  • 12 replies

I have 2 locations with 7 speakers in one and 2 in another and multiple ech dots at each. I come to find the sonos Alexa app only supports the addition of speakers from one location. Can this be updated or improved?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Can’t you just simply create two separate Amazon Accounts?.. and/or two Sonos Accounts, if necessary? (One for each location)

If you want to stream music from both accounts then use the Amazon Ultimate Music Family sharing plan.

The Sonos App supports multiple houses/homes.
I set up a separate Amazon account for my second location. Do I need a separate Sonos account for this location. Too. Echo Dot not locating my Sonos speakers at the second location.
I've got this same challenge, and it's very frustrating, as things like my smart plugs and Alexa devices work across locations, but Sonos does not. Is there a plan to add multiple locations/systems control functionality to the Alexa support? Linking to another Amazon account seems like a hack at best.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've got this same challenge, and it's very frustrating, as things like my smart plugs and Alexa devices work across locations, but Sonos does not. Is there a plan to add multiple locations/systems control functionality to the Alexa support? Linking to another Amazon account seems like a hack at best.

A Sonos account should be considered a 'location' specific rather than 'person' specific account. Making them work across locations would be a major architecture change for the app I suspect and even worse now that AI is being incorporated into the devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
A Sonos account should be considered a 'location' specific rather than 'person' specific account. Making them work across locations would be a major architecture change for the app I suspect and even worse now that AI is being incorporated into the devices.

Can 2 Sonos accounts (one for each location) be linked to a single Amazon Prime account?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Nope, it must be a 1:1
Ok - that sort of makes sense although implies I need a new email account for everywhere I want to use Sonos. (And it sounds like a new Amazon account too, so back to that as well.)

Also, I think by location you mean “Network segment” right? I.e. as long as they can “see” each other then they can “live together” in the same Sonos account. Not suggesting I’d go so far as to set up a VPN between locations to get my Alexa working. Yet.

To extend the account uniqueness - can two Sonos accounts be linked to the same AppleMusic or Spotify or Pandora or whatever account?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Bummer. Amazon lets me use my Prime account from any location and on multiple devices but for some reason it doesn't work that way when Sonos is added to the mix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also, I think by location you mean “Network segment” right? I.e. as long as they can “see” each other then they can “live together” in the same Sonos account. Not suggesting I’d go so far as to set up a VPN between locations to get my Alexa working. Yet.

Yes.

To extend the account uniqueness - can two Sonos accounts be linked to the same AppleMusic or Spotify or Pandora or whatever account?

I believe so but only one can play at any one time.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Is there any reason to think that Sonos will work from multiple locations controlled with a single Amazon Prime account in the future?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I would be surprised but that's just my opinion.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I tried disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill but that's too much of a hassle with going back and forth frequently. I do enjoy the look and sound of the One but we have to have Alexa voice control at both places so I see no other option but to use an Echo instead of the One. I hope Sonos will provide a solution to this in the future.