Question

Altering volume via Alexa and stereo pairing

• 28 November 2017
  • 1 reply

I've been using the Alexa-Sonos integration for some time now with very successful results.

Recently though I've been having trouble altering the volume on the Sonos from Alexa. When I say "turn it up/down in the " I get the response "that command doesn't work on . I get varying results if I say "set the volume to 30% in the ". Often will completely mute or simply not respond.

This has been happening for a couple of weeks now and I can't remember changing anything on my side.

Since that has started I have also added a paired Play:3 which is now in stereo mode with the other Play:3. (I don't have any other Sonos devices yet). I must admit that pairing it on the Sonos side was easy, but reflecting that pairing on the Alexa app was not so smooth. I didn't want to forget all my smart devices as I have quite a few, so I ended up disabling the existing Sonos Play:3, then adding the new Play:3 pair. I ended up with 2 Play:3s listed as well as the Play:3 group. I then renamed the individual Play:3 devices to 1 and 2, leaving the pair at .

Is this the correct way to do it? I didn't expect to see them individually. This may have been further complicated by the fact I also have a Samsung SmartThings hub which can also connect to the Sonos devices, so whether Alexa is picking up something from there as well, I'm not sure.

Any advice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, golfcaddy. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Since experiencing these problems, have you rediscovered your devices? This can be done by just telling Alexa: "Rediscover devices".

Regarding grouping and how it is shown in the Alexa app: The Alexa app (along with Alexa as a whole) is not capable of grouping Sonos speakers. What you are seeing in the Alexa app is simply a list of your smart home devices. Since Alexa is not aware of groups in Sonos, the app will not display them as you would see them in the Sonos app. No worries about what you were seeing in the Alexa app.