Allow a change in wake word

• 26 July 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Ok, so it’s been asked enough now however it’s starting to become rather annoying as my daughter’s favorite show right now has the main character as Alexa - so with a Sonos one device on the same room and a beam device on the way this is a rather annoying situation. The beam at least should be able to know when the word Alexa comes from the TV as the audio passes through the beam - in writing this Alexa on sonos has been activated 5 times. It’s quite ridiculous honestly that Alexa on sonos devices are so limited.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Agreed! I'd actually suggest a better feature: have beam ignore sounds it produces. Since it is the one outputting the word "Alexa", it should be able to ignore it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Thanks for the suggestion of allowing a change to the wake word for Alexa on Sonos. I'll send in a feature request to the development team.
The wake word thing is important because if your adding a beam w/ alexa to a house with several existing alexa’s, the wake word needs to be consistent. We changed our two to “echo” years ago and now we have remember echo doesnt work on this one and have to remember to call it alexa only in this room.
This is incredibly annoying - my wife doesn't like having Echos around in general, but calling them 'alexa' drives them crazy. So I changed my wake word to 'Echo' but now I have the same problem as Nyolls - it really defeats the purpose, as this is a very powerful, if easily overlooked, feature.
Badge
Just found out I can't change the wake word on my ONE. Come on guys, this should be an easy update. My daughters in one room are requesting things from Alexa and meanwhile my Sonos ONE is reacting to their louder wake word requests. I'd like to rename my unit to "Speaker" which should solve the problem. Going to have-to MUTE Alexa for the time being which reduces my user functionality and convenience.
You probably should be petitioning Amazon. To my knowledge, there are no "Alexa enabled" devices that allow this, which points to it being something Amazon has reserved for their own devices.
Anyway we could get a notification when this is available? Watching a tv show with a character named alexa or alexis is incredibly annoying!
Maybe add the word “sonos beam”