Answered

Alexa would not change volume on the Beam

• 23 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello all! Has anyone experience alexa wouldn’t change the volume on the Beam  regardless of what volume commands you give it and its always “device is at volume 6” 

manually changing the volume by tv remote and the touch control it still works as normal. For example if i decrease the volume on the touch controls , the volume does decrease and when asking alexa what the volume is, it would be still at 6. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 March 2021, 13:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jordan L 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for your post - we are aware of an issue whereby Alexa reports the incorrect volume value, and we are currently investigating it. However, you should still be able to control the volume with voice commands. 

Could you please unplug your speaker for 20 seconds, then plug it back in? Once the speaker is online (has a solid white light), please ask Alexa to change the volume.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Jordan L 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for your post - we are aware of an issue whereby Alexa reports the incorrect volume value, and we are currently investigating it. However, you should still be able to control the volume with voice commands. 

Could you please unplug your speaker for 20 seconds, then plug it back in? Once the speaker is online (has a solid white light), please ask Alexa to change the volume.

I hope this helps.

Hello @Corry P 

Thanks for the reply and welcome!

i have tried rebooting it but that leads to another issue. The spotify will stop working by command through Alexa. Only by disabling it on the Alexa app and after a few hours will only be able to re-enable the spotify to by Alexa. I have manage to replicate this a couple of times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jordan L 

It sounds like the tokens being exchanged between servers are desynched. Please try disabling and then re-enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app. You’ll need your Sonos login details.

If issues persist, please try rebooting your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds.

Hi @Jordan L 

It sounds like the tokens being exchanged between servers are desynched. Please try disabling and then re-enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app. You’ll need your Sonos login details.

If issues persist, please try rebooting your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds.

Did what you said both the reboot and re-enabling the sonos skill on the alexa app. So now i can’t re-enable the sonos skill and “device is at volume 4” 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jordan L 

That indicates that your speaker isn’t fully registered yet. Unless you have reset the speaker, this is of course incorrect.

Are you using a WiFi booster or extender (or a Sky Q box, in the UK)? If so, please turn it off and wait one minute before opening the Sonos App. Go to Settings » System and the app will indicate if any actions are needed on the speaker. Once these are done (or there are none), please add the Sonos skill to Alexa and then test Alexa volume control again (she will still probably report the incorrect volume).

If this doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Hi @Jordan L 

That indicates that your speaker isn’t fully registered yet. Unless you have reset the speaker, this is of course incorrect.

Are you using a WiFi booster or extender (or a Sky Q box, in the UK)? If so, please turn it off and wait one minute before opening the Sonos App. Go to Settings » System and the app will indicate if any actions are needed on the speaker. Once these are done (or there are none), please add the Sonos skill to Alexa and then test Alexa volume control again (she will still probably report the incorrect volume).

If this doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

The speaker are fully registered. I havent reset the beam before only reboots where this particular problem arises.  After a couple hours usually in the morning the alexa app will give me the ok to enable the sonos skill. Not using any wifi booster or in the UK. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.