Alexa works on Sonos Move some of the time

• 7 December 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a bunch of Echos AND a Sonos Beam.  When I am playing music and say something like “Alexa, louder” or “Alexa, next song” then the command is executed as long as I am loud enough for the mic to pick up my voice.  The Move I just bought doesn’t seem to behave that way.  Even if the volume is low and I basically yell into the mic, it doesn’t have an effect.

I note that when the sound is off and I use one of the standard voice commands (e.g. “Alexa, play my playlist”) it starts up just fine.

Does the Move work differently than the Beam and the other Alexa devices, or is there something wrong with my Move?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I think my new move is possessed.  Today I decided to test further.  I said “Alexa, play CNN”.  Alexa confirmed “Now playing CNN from TuneIn” and proceeded to start playing my playlist again.

I have the same problem. New Sonos Move, Alexa works perfectly when nothing is playing. As soon as something is playing, Alexa doesn't hear me, no matter how quiet the music is or how loud I shout, even from close by...

...except, once yesterday, I was fiddling with the buttons in top and Alexa started working properly. She could hear me no matter what was playing. It all worked beautifully, so I know she can do it!

Sadly, I then streamed something via Airplay and everything has returned to how it was before. Alexa now ignores me again when music is playing.

To get Alexa to respond when something is playing, I now have to pause whatever is playing using the button on top of the Move and then Alexa reacts again.

So it's not the Move working differently to your other Sonos equipment, the Move has some sort of bug.

Sonos, can we get a fix?

Diagnostic 1505654104

...and I turned the Move off fully overnight and this morning everything is working properly again. Alexa responds when music is playing.

Definitely something glitchy.