Question

Alexa with ZP120 / ZP100?

• 19 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have a ZP120 & ZP100's playing through ceiling mounted speakers.

Can I buy an Amazon Echo to simiply add voice control to these? Are these older Sonos amps compatible with Alexa in the same way as newer Sonos products? (i.e. I don't want to have to connect via the line in on the ZP120/ZP100's to make it work.)

I quite like the idea of ceiling mounting an Echo Dot to do this. Will Alexa automatically always speak through the speakers connected the the ZP120/ZP100, or would I have to issue a voice command to Alexa to connect (or play through) Sonos each time (as I have seen other people have to do when using an Echo with a bluetooth speaker)?

I also have another question:
I have noticed that when a friend is playing their Echo through a Bluetooth speaker, turning down the volume on the speaker turns down Alexa's voice, so that you can no longer here her! Does an Alexa / Sonos system have the same issue? Or can you turn the music volume down on the app, or Sonos volume buttons, without affecting the volume of Alexa's voice?

Any other tips also greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I have an Echo Dot now. Alexa always talks out of it. If you want to play music through Sonos you have to tell Alexa to play the music through the Sonos Zone. "Alexa, play xxxxx in the Kitchen" for example.
It works with all my Connects so should be fine with your ZPs.
All Alexa queries not involving Sonos work through my Dot.
Hi Nick,

So saying, "Alexa, play BBC Radio 4", it would play through the Echo Dot's (terrible) built in speaker, but saying "Alexa, play BBC Radio 4 in the Kitchen" it would play through the Sonos connected ceiling speakers?

If I then ask Alexa a question whilst playing the Radio, would her voice come out of the Echo Dot's speaker, or through the Sonos connected speakers?
You can always connect the Dot to the line-in on the ZP120 to avoid the Dot speaker completely and have all Alexa voice and music output come through the ZP120. I am doing this in several zones using Dots into either ZP120s or Play5 Gen1 units. Working well for me. Just be sure to disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app if you had it installed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Hi Nick,

So saying, "Alexa, play BBC Radio 4", it would play through the Echo Dot's (terrible) built in speaker, but saying "Alexa, play BBC Radio 4 in the Kitchen" it would play through the Sonos connected ceiling speakers?

If I then ask Alexa a question whilst playing the Radio, would her voice come out of the Echo Dot's speaker, or through the Sonos connected speakers?

Yes to the first paragraph.
Her voice still comes out of the Dot. I have never heard Alexa come through any of my Sonos speakers. I don't have a Sonos One though! Alexa works simply as a controller of Sonos for me - all other Alexa stuff is directly through the Dot.