Answered

Alexa with Sonos 1 will not respond while music is playing on the Sonos

• 30 March 2018
  • 5 replies

With Sonos 1 with Alexa built in I cannot get Alexa to respond while music is playing on the sonos. i have to wait until the song ends. Same with listening to news radio station . There is no response until a break in the announcers voice
icon

Best answer by Master T 30 March 2018, 23:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9
That's definitely not typical of the Sonos One. The first thing I would suggest is that you cycle the microphone button on the top of the unit off and then on again. There is a known issue with the Sonos One losing sensitivity over time for which this provides a temporary fix. Sonos is aware of the issue and has indicated a firmware update to resolve this issue is forthcoming.
I'm also experiencing issues with Alexa not responding to an instruction to switch off the radio (after it has responded correctly to play the radio)... so annoying! Is the firmware update available yet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm also experiencing issues with Alexa not responding to an instruction to switch off the radio (after it has responded correctly to play the radio)... so annoying! Is the firmware update available yet?

Hi

This isn't normal behaviour and is not something I have a problem with on my set-up. I assume this is using a Sonos One? Have you toggled the mic switch off and on as Master T suggested?

I suggest that if the problem persists that you follow the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post and let us know how you get on:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126
Hello @UKMedia,

Yes, you correctly assumed Sonos One... I had success with the following steps (toggling the mic on/off didn't change the behaviour):

1. I removed the Sonos speakers as devices from Smart Home page in the Amazon Alexa app on my phone;
2. I then disabled the Sonos skill from the Skills page in the Amazon Alexa app on my phone;
3. Re-enabled the Sonos skill
4. This then prompted me to discover devices, which I did;
5. Tapped the newly re-added Sonos devices to check the correct ones were added.

Did a quick test with the following commands:

"Alexa, play Kiss FM" - Successfully played Kiss from TuneIn
"Alexa, stop radio" - successfully stopped radio (Also tried "Alexa, switch off the radio" which also worked).

Thanks all!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Great news. 🙂