Alexa voice volume linked to Sonos volume? Need independent control

• 24 October 2017
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 3
  • Contributor I
  • 3 replies
It seems the volume of the Alexa voice is linked directly to the volume of the Sonos One unit. That means if I'm playing quiet music in the background, and I activate Alexa, I can't really hear her voice at all.

That also means if I am playing loud music, after the "ducking" to mute the music the voice is really loud.

The volume should be independent or perhaps some proportional volume of the music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes, please allow voice volume settings separate from music volume settings!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll pass it up to the team for you.
Userlevel 2
I vote for this feature as well. It would be very nice to have the Alexa volume set separately so it is always the same volume no matter how loud or quiet my music is.
Userlevel 1
This is a very important feature. I have a couple Sonos Ones paired with my Playbar. For whatever reason, the volume they are set at so the TV is loud enough makes Alexa REALLY loud. Not ideal.
Userlevel 1
It would be very helpful. Can you also turn have a quick setting to turn her voice answers off as I have my sonos ones set up with a 5.1 system and while I am watching tv would like to give commands but not hear her. Also can you have an easy way to turn her on and off if necessary .
Userlevel 2
Glad to find that this bugs other users, I'm surprised separate voice (and annoying bong) volume control wasn't part of the original setup. The last thing you want is a shouty Alexa...
Yes, please update to allow independent Alexa and sonos volumes!
Userlevel 1
This is one of my 2 annoyances with the Sonos One right now. Hopefully it will get fixed quickly. I guess this is what I get for being an early adopter.
Hope this is being worked on, it makes the Alexa in a Play One useless unless you constantly adjust the volume.
Oops
Annoying me too as she is very loud... when playing music i would prefer it to be fully muted when she is speaking so you can hear her better at a lower volume.
You really need to get this implemented as soon as possible. Have never used Alexa before so unsure if this this an Alexa issue or the sonos implementation, however the google assistant allows you to set the maximum volume and have a night time mode set on a schedule.
I initially had issues when I used the line out from Alexa to provide the input to the Sonos via the line in that the volume levels were all incorrect. However if you add your Alexa account into the Sonos unit then it works great. You can select your normal playlists and songs then speak to Alexa to make a change. Do not use the line out from Alexa, let the apps talk to each other for college trolling what is playing and use the volume control on your phone app instead of asking Alexa to turn it up or down. I have just had the latest update so that may have helped.
That should read ‘controlling’, not ‘college trolling’ (although I’m sure that’s fun).
100% agree. I tend to run my Sonos system quiet but in many rooms. I added my seventh speaker this week as a Sonos One and it’s the only Alexa-enabled one in my system. Because I run my music broad but quiet, I find the Alexa voice hard to understand, especially because the bass-tuning of my One makes the Alexa voice sound muddled. I’d love to be able to turn her up. Even further, it would be great to have some Alexa EQ settings that remove the bassiness of the speaker if needed when it speaks.
+1 We use two for surround and it's current implementation is useless so we've disabled this feature. Good thing we did't pay extra for this. On the good side, it's given us a chance to get acquainted with Google Assistant as we still needed a voice control in the room.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm jumping on this band wagon!

Sonos developers, please make the Voice Assistant volume independent from the Music volume.

Owner of three Play:1, three Play:3, one PLAYBAR, one SUB, a ONE.
The Alexa voice being way too loud is the worst thing about the One, and perhaps the only area in which it is significantly worse than an Echo. I will return mine if this is not fixed.:@
Userlevel 1
Badge
Wife said to me last night is there a way to turn Alexa volume down, music was playing at the time she asked Alexa to turn off the hall lights Alexa replies OK which was way to loud. Its hard enough to get my wife to use this tech little things like this will put her off forever. I hope this is able to be fixed.
Badge
Please pretty please can this be fixed. We need a way to have Alexa’s volume to be set independently.
Userlevel 1
Need to be able to adjust down the volume of alexa responses, when paired with a playbar as surrounds the volume form alexa is far too loud
Badge +2
Is there something inherently different in volume level (up to 10) when controlled by Alexa versus direct Sonos control via app? My living room isn't as loud when playing through Alexa versus direct?.....and YES, the Alexa voice prompts are very loud when the Sonos commanded music is loud.
Very loud on the new Echo, too. Not just an issue on the Sonos. Seems like maybe they've increased the volume of Alexa's voice across the board.
Userlevel 1
But you can adjust the volume down on an echo, not so with surround sonos one speakers without it affecting the primary sound playing through the Playbar.
But you can adjust the volume down on an echo, not so with surround sonos one speakers without it affecting the primary sound playing through the Playbar.

Not sure what you mean - you can't set the volume of Alexa's voice independently from the sound of music. Notification sounds, yes, but not the voice, which was the topic of the initial post,