Question

Alexa tells me cameras don't work on this device!

• 24 November 2017
  • 15 replies

Badge
With my Sonos playing I say to Alexa, "Alexa, stop playing in Kitchen"
I almost always get the response "Sorry, cameras do not work on this device"
I then have to say "Alexa, stop kitchen"

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Do you have a camera named Kitchen? Had a similar problem in that I had the lights in the Living Room called "Living Room" and when I added Sonos my speakers in the Living Room had that same name. Alexa is easily confused. Couldn't custom name the speakers so I had to change the name of the lights.
Badge
I don't have any cameras at all! To avoid the clash I separated names so that the Dot in the Kitchen is called Kitchen Echo and Sonos is just called Kitchen, no cameras though!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I don't have any cameras at all! To avoid the clash I separated names so that the Dot in the Kitchen is called Kitchen Echo and Sonos is just called Kitchen, no cameras though!

I would recommend that you call your devices 'Room Name + Device name' e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc, This is so that if Alexa gets interference after it has heard Kitchen only it doesn't get confused. Remember you will need to select 'Discover in the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices after you changed the device names.
Badge
I get the exact same problem when I try to say "Alexa, stop playing in the bedroom". My parents here it when they say "Alexa, stop playing in the kitchen". Sonos email support wasn't very receptive to this, claimed I was the first one they heard from about it.

I did try to start saying "pause", which seems to work better, but I always get the "cameras" error message when I try to specifically stop playing in a particular room.
These types of errors are usually due to two or more Alexa devices with the same name. Check your smart devices in the Alexa app and make sure each has a unique name.
Badge
No duplicate names on any devices in my house. Same at my parents. "Sorry, Cameras don't work on that device" is an error multiple people now have experienced trying to do the same exact thing on Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you check in the Alexa App>Settings>History and confirm that Alexa heard you correctly? Also can you confirm what command you are asking Alexa that gives this reply?

Here is the supported command syntax:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.109795205.1095743978.1506552577-1491669311.1488879254&_gac=1.253526523.1513438473.CjwKCAiApdPRBRAdEiwA84bo36CbdZtg66i3wMcDJKvFD7Xk_0O62ZmsCjpuschVjtghxDfD1ZepUhoC9IcQAvD_BwE
Badge
In both my case, and my parents case, the command is "Alexa, stop playing in the ".

I'll have to see what the history says when I get that error.
Badge
OK, history shows Alexa heard "alexa stop playing in the bedroom". The response? "Sorry, cameras don't work on this device". Completely nonsensical. I have multiple sonos rooms grouped. When I ask to just "Stop", she'll always ask me if I mean "kitchen or television"? Even though the TV is off. It's like the group coordinator is changing each time I ask.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In both my case, and my parents case, the command is "Alexa, stop playing in the ".

I'll have to see what the history says when I get that error.

Is this on an Echo Dot or Sonos One?
Badge
I've seen it on Echo Dots and Echos. I don't own a Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've seen it on Echo Dots and Echos. I don't own a Sonos One.

Also, is the camera message only related to a single room? Can you try and group all of your rooms in the Sonos App and then try stopping another room other than Kitchen?
Badge
Just tried "Alexa, stop playing in the living room". Response is again, "Sorry, cameras don't work on this device". History shows echo heard what I said. Very weird.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you try just saying 'Alexa, Stop living room', It may be the fact you are including the phrase 'playing in the' in the command syntax, although why that would equate to a camera I'm not sure.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.105404291.1095743978.1506552577-1491669311.1488879254&_gac=1.262899198.1513438473.CjwKCAiApdPRBRAdEiwA84bo36CbdZtg66i3wMcDJKvFD7Xk_0O62ZmsCjpuschVjtghxDfD1ZepUhoC9IcQAvD_BwE
Badge
I just tried your suggestion, and that definitely just worked. Interesting! Great tip!