Alexa/SVC to select Sonos Port / Connect / Input

• 23 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I often play vinyl through my multiple Sonos speakers, using my Connect.

Is there an Alexa command to tell Sonos to play the input from a Sonos device? 

I'm finding it increasingly tiresome that you have to get the app out for so much with Sonos! Very boring. I would love a dedicated instantly-on remote on the wall for volume, next, playlists, input etc.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bengo3 

Thanks for your post!

No, there is no Alexa command that will achieve the desired result, nor is there a Sonos Voice Control equivalent (which to my mind was more likely).

Instead, I recommend you go to Settings » System » [room with Connect] » Autoplay and select a default room to play to, and select “include grouped rooms” if required.

I will, however, tag this thread as a feature request - although such a command is unlikely to ever be added to Alexa, it being added to SVC is not entirely unthinkable (and SVC and Alexa can run on the same speakers at the same time, so it would be an option).

I hope this helps.

I can't use autoplay because I've found it triggers from, presumably, tiny noise spikes, and cuts off whatever's playing from Spotify. 

Thanks tho

Much better IMHO would be a physical control on the wall. The app for anything is a bore. Open up the API to a market?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bengo3 

I can't use autoplay because I've found it triggers from, presumably, tiny noise spikes, and cuts off whatever's playing from Spotify. 

I can see how that would happen with a turntable, and how it would be annoying - fair point! If your pre-amp has a switch, it would presumably stop this from happening - you could just switch it on when playing a record, though you would, admittedly, have to remember to turn it off again when done.

Much better IMHO would be a physical control on the wall. The app for anything is a bore. Open up the API to a market?

There are some physical, third-party controllers available, though my knowledge of them is limited. I don’t think any of them have an option to control the input selection, however - just transport controls like play/pause, volume, skip etc.

I think a feature request for SVC is your best best, to be honest.