Answered

Alexa “Sorry, something went wrong” per profile, when unaccessed for 12-24 hours

• 17 January 2024
  • 34 replies

Every day for the past few months, the first time I ask Alexa a question that she has to go to the internet for, she responds “Sorry, something went wrong”. We have 2 users setup and this happens per user. 
for example, this sequence, all when we wake up:

Person1: Alexa, how old are you? (Local?)

Alexa: I’m 9 years old…

Person1: Alexa, what is the weather today?

Alexa: Sorry, something went wrong  

Person1: Alexa, what is the weather today?

Alexa: The weather today is…weather

PERSON2: Alexa, what is the weather today?

Alexa: Sorry, something went wrong  

PERSON2: Alexa, what is the weather today?

Alexa: The weather today is… weather

EVERY SINGLE DAY  for the past few months

icon

Best answer by craigski 29 February 2024, 12:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Runsie 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We are aware of such an issue, but as far as we are aware, it only affects Alexa on Era 100 devices, which I can see you don’t own.

Therefore, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

However, it may be as easy as removing the Sonos skill from Alexa in the Alexa app and adding it again: Alexa app » More » Skills & Games » Your Skills » Sonos » Disable Skill/Enable to Use, so it’s worth trying that first.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Corry P Its not specific to ERA-100, see multiple comments on the other thread, maybe title can be changed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigski 

So far in our own testing, we have only been able to reproduce the behaviour on Era 100 units, so that’s what the technical documentation on the issue references.

Anyone experiencing these issues on devices other than Era 100s should get in touch. Those experiencing it only on Era 100 devices need not get in touch.

I hope this helps.

Same problem with Alexa running on Sonos one os s2 v 15.11 - Alexa app and Sonos all fully up to date

Userlevel 1

Been having the exact same issue on my Sonos devices for a little while now as well which is what brought me to this thread.  It occurring on my Arc and my Beam.  The first request results in the “sorry something went wrong” reply and then on attempts after that it will respond properly. 

Userlevel 2

I’m experiencing this on Sonos one, Sonos Move and Sonos Roam. It’s not just on the Era 100.

All up to date, and I’ve tried removing and reinstalling the voice service.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is definitely not isolated to era 100 speakers. This is occurring on my beam, arc, and others. Sonos needs to step it up and fix this- extremely annoying. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Anyone experiencing these issues on devices other than Era 100s should get in touch. 

@Butler Cross @Bee22 @RLB @Captivebolt  have you opened a support case with Sonos?

Userlevel 2

Anyone experiencing these issues on devices other than Era 100s should get in touch. 

@Butler Cross @Bee22 @RLB @Captivebolt  have you opened a support case with Sonos?

No, but I will do now as this doesn’t seem to be getting fixed. 

It's been happening with me for at least a month and I have the Move and Play.  I contacted customer service and they could not help me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Runsie et al

We now consider this issue resolved. If you continue to see this issue, we recommend you ensure your Sonos system is up-to-date, and if so, to get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

We thank you for your patience.

Edit: Apologies - please disregard this post as it relates to a slightly different issue

Userlevel 1
Badge

Solved… lol

its funny that people have to jump through hoops to get a product to work right. 

not everyone has time to sit down and send a schematic of a problem. 

Solved… lol

its funny that people have to jump through hoops to get a product to work right. 

Can you share how solved it please?

I also have this problem on my ones, arc, and beam. 100% not isolated to Era 100 devices. 

Userlevel 7

Solved… lol

I also have this problem on my ones, arc, and beam. 100% not isolated to Era 100 devices. 

The “lol” in their post suggests they were being ironic.

This specific issue is not yet fixed.

The separate Alexa mic issue on Era 100s has been resolved, which was a different issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was being 

Solved… lol

was being sarcastic cause it was marked as solved- but that post has been redacted. 

yes, I am continually having the sorry something went wrong nonsense on my arc, and on a beam.

Userlevel 1

I have this same problem on Sonos ones across the house - it is intermittent, and once I get the response, Alexa then is okay on my next command. 

Has a solution been found? Wifi is good; the router restarted, disabled and reenabled the skill with no change.

Any ideas appreciated please

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Any ideas appreciated please

There is no current solution, my advice is to run a diagnostic immediately after you experience this issue, and report it to Sonos Support. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your reply; how do I run a diagnostic, please?

This isn’t just a Sonos issue - you only have to look online to see that it’s a general issue with Amazon’s own echo devices too and it’s clear it only affects some users, rather than everyone. Here is one link that goes into some depth about the matter…

https://www.funktionalhome.com/alexa-sorry-something-went-wrong/

My own thoughts are that there’s an intermittent connection/time-out issue between the Alexa component and Amazons local server, but that’s just a guess. 

If you (re)search the issue online, it’s clear that not everyone has the problem and it clearly affects other products too, besides Sonos. Maybe this is something Amazon needs to fix, or at the very least, they may need be made aware of the issue, aswell as informing Sonos Customer Services.

Userlevel 7

This isn’t just a Sonos issue - you only have to look online to see that it’s a general issue with Amazon’s own echo devices too and it’s clear it only affects some users, rather than everyone. Here is one link that goes into some depth about the matter…

My own thoughts are that there’s an intermittent connection/time-out issue between the Alexa component and Amazons local server, but that’s just a guess. 

If you (re)search the issue online, it’s clear that not everyone has the problem and it clearly affects other products too, besides Sonos. Maybe this is something Amazon needs to fix, or at the very least, they may need be made aware of the issue, aswell as informing Sonos Customer Services.

It’s a known issue being investigated by Sonos. I’m sure between Sonos/Amazon they will implement a fix for this issue on Sonos devices, which is not the generic connection issues alluded to in the article.

It’s a known issue being investigated by Sonos. I’m sure between Sonos/Amazon they will implement a fix for this issue on Sonos devices, which is not the generic connection issues alluded to in the article.

It struck me that Sonos Staff here initially appeared to see the matter as just being related to the Era-100 speaker. Whereas it strikes me that this problem is actually wider than even just Sonos devices, as it’s widely mentioned online in relation to other non-Sonos products.

In each case I read, only some Amazon customers appear to be affected. It’s clearly not everyone. So it’s either the customer account, local software/hardware, or perhaps location specific - maybe it comes down to local Amazon servers that need a fix/update, which is eluded to in that linked article.

That article also mentions a number of things to try aswell, to see if that may fix the matter, deleting device history for example and a few other things besides.

Userlevel 7

It struck me that Sonos Staff here initially appeared to see the matter as just being related to the Era-100 speaker. Whereas it strikes me that this problem is actually wider than even just Sonos devices, as it’s widely mentioned online in relation to other non-Sonos products.

In each case I read, only some Amazon customers appear to be affected. It’s clearly not everyone. So it’s either the customer account, local software/hardware, or perhaps location specific - maybe it comes down to local Amazon servers that need a fix/update, which is eluded to in that linked article.

That article also mentions a number of things to try aswell, to see if that may fix the matter, deleting device history for example and a few other things besides.

Agree the Sonos staff here incorrectly linked the two issues. That was evident in previous replies.

Just because the same error message is used by Alexa on non-Sonos products does not mean the specific issue on Sonos products for some users is a wider problem. As I and others have mentioned on another thread, Amazon Alexa devices in the household do not exhibit this behaviour. 

The standard troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue on Sonos devices.

As the issue is indeed only impacting a minority of users that could explain why it is taking Sonos/Amazon time to find the root cause of the issue and implement a fix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

There is some confusion here.

1. The symptom ‘Sorry, something went wrong’ reply is a catchall message for Alexa enabled devices, therefore can be caused by multiple different issues, some of which @Ken_Griffiths has linked to in previous posts.
  2. I believe the issue I am facing is specific to Sonos devices. They will be running different software than Amazon devices:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GMB5FVUB6REAVTXY
  3. I do not have issues with commands that are parsed by an Alexa skill, eg Sonos Skill for music control, or Smart home skills, these work first time.
  4. My issue only occurs on Sonos devices, with the first command after a long period of time, that does not parse through a 3rd party skill.
  5. I suspect the issue I am facing is similar to others on these threads, but a different issue to the links @Ken_Griffiths has posted.
  6. It may be specific to Sonos with other Alexa enabled devices on the LAN, I have a few Dots & some FireTV devices, what revisions, what versions of firmware etc, and what other skills are installed, etc.
  7. Support did reply yesterday to say it was fixed, I replied today with diagnostics to prove it isn’t.
  8. This issue is not as annoying at the ERA-100 Alexa wake up issue that has been resolved already, and I am glad that Sonos focused efforts on that issue first. 😀
  9. Anyone facing this issue with Sonos devices should take a diagnostic immediately after the response ‘Sorry, something went wrong’
Userlevel 1

There are several things that may cause that message when it has trouble communicating.    It’s not just one specific cause and solution.   Yes, the message is delivered by Alexa but the cause in this specific case is absolutely related to Sonos devices after the mentioned period of time.   I have several other actual Echo devices as well as an Ecobee with Alexa built in and this issue occurs literally every day with my Sonos devices exclusively and it’s only started happening fairly recently after years of trouble-free daily use with all these devices.  

If it has been a prolonged period (usually overnight) the first time I ask my Arc or Beam an Alexa question that requires her to access the internet, the “something went wrong” message is always the initial response.  Asking a second time works normally as do further queries for the rest of the day until there is a prolonged period of non-use again.  
When I do the same with one of my Echo Shows or my Ecobee it responds normally the first time, every time.  

Again, I’ve had all of these devices for years and they see daily use.  There is absolutely zero question that this specific issue I’m experiencing is related to and only occurs on my Sonos devices. 

Userlevel 1

A period of non-usage seems to be the common error here, sometimes this is overnight or even just an hour or so.  It appears to be an issue across multiple Sonos ones in the house. 

Why has it recently started?  It was perfect until around 3 months ago without any errors like this?

I will send Sonos a report after it happens next time. And see if this leads anywhere.