Answered

Alexa & Sonos - music control stopped working

• 24 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Allnof a sudden i can’t control music via Alexa voice commands.  It’s been working fine for years across my 8 sonos One Gen2’s.  

now i say “play The Beatles” and it just tells me i need to install the skill for my Sonos One. If i say “play beatles on Spotify” or “play music on Pandora” - same thing.  

Of course i uninstalled and re-installed all the skills (Sonos, Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora” - made no difference.  

all other Alexa commands still work fine (weather, home device control, etc). And i can play music thru the Sonos speakers using the Pandora, Spotify or Sonos apps no problem.  Only voice control via Alexa has died.  Sonos Voice Control works fine by the way.  It’s just Alexa. 

anyone else?

icon

Best answer by aaciii 24 March 2024, 19:16

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you running a S1 system? There was a recent issue with the S1 and Alexa and a fix has been released. Can you check for any updates and retest. Let us know if the issue persists.

Userlevel 1
Badge

No, it’s an S2 system.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you please check your Sonos profile (www.sonos.com) and make sure your location is correct.  There have been some instances where the location has changed after travel.

Userlevel 1
Badge

My location is correct (has never changed).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you open the Sonos App>Settings>Services & Voice>Amazon Alexa and make sure all of your  Sonos Ones are shown as Enabled.  If not then please enable them and retest.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Gotnit working again.  I had to go into the alexa.amazon.com web site and completely delete the Sonos devices / de-register them from Alexa (both the Sonos speakers AND the “associated” internal Echo devices with the same names).

after doing this, un-pairing the stereo pair of One’s, and starting the whole setup all over, it worked again.