Answered

Alexa Sonos at two houses

• 12 November 2018
  • 9 replies

I have a Alexa Sonos system at my primary house. I purchased a Alexa beam for my secondary house. At the second house, the Sonos will only work if I manually select music from my phone on the Sonos app. If I ask Alexa to say " Play Pandora Rock Station" Alexa says, " You must activate this on your phone". It is activated on my phone, as I have used my Alexa Sonos system at my primary house. I spent an hour on the phone with Amazon and got nowhere. The said to ask Sonos. The problem seems to be with Alexa interfacing with Sonos at two different locationsl.

Please Help
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 12 November 2018, 14:51

Are you using the same Sonos and Amazon accounts at both locations? The link between Sonos and Amazon is a 1 to 1 relationship. When you add the Sonos skill to Alexa, you're asking to provide your Sonos account credentials. If you actually have 2 Sonos accounts, one for your primary house and a second for your secondary house, with only the primary house account linked to Alexa, then no, your Beam at the secondary house would not be setup with Alexa.

Your options really need to be either one Sonos account to one Amazon account shared between both locations, or separate accounts for Sonos and Amazon at the two locations. I'm not 100% sure the former is possible.

Note: You can setup 2 separate Amazon music acocunts associated to one Sonos account in terms of music sources, it's just Alexa control that is a one to one relationhip (pretty sure on this).
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Same Amazon account, but different Sonos households I assume? You could try cloning one Sonos household to the other location, that might work. Or create another Amazon account and use that at one location. Basically try to get a 1-1 relationship between Amazon account and Sonos household. Anything else is likely to fail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Are you using the same Sonos and Amazon accounts at both locations? The link between Sonos and Amazon is a 1 to 1 relationship. When you add the Sonos skill to Alexa, you're asking to provide your Sonos account credentials. If you actually have 2 Sonos accounts, one for your primary house and a second for your secondary house, with only the primary house account linked to Alexa, then no, your Beam at the secondary house would not be setup with Alexa.

Your options really need to be either one Sonos account to one Amazon account shared between both locations, or separate accounts for Sonos and Amazon at the two locations. I'm not 100% sure the former is possible.

Note: You can setup 2 separate Amazon music acocunts associated to one Sonos account in terms of music sources, it's just Alexa control that is a one to one relationhip (pretty sure on this).
Thanks to a post from 5 months ago this is what I do.

Launch Alexa app on mobile device
> Search for Sonos skill
> Disable Skill
> Enable Sonos Skill
> Login to Sonos again
> Select the Sonos system (house) you want to use
> Allow Alexa to control your Sonos system (which links to Sonos)
> Disover Devices

Once you've gone through all this, then Sonos should work on the system/house you've selected, BUT it will no longer work on the other house. SO - you have to repeat this whenever you change locations.

> Search for Sonos skill
> Disable Skill
> Enable Sonos Skill
> Login to Sonos again
> Disover Devices

Once you've gone through all this, then Sonos should work on the system/house you've selected, BUT it will no longer work on the other house. SO - you have to repeat this whenever you change locations.

This is exactly what I do. Kind of annoying if you are between the two locations often since you have to remember to switch back. I wondered if it actually still plays music at the other location if you don’t make the switch... kind of like the tree falling the woods scenario.
Badge +1
I've real experience of this with four Sonos home setups. All Sonos products are registered to one Sonos account; each location has its unique Amazon account. everything works fine

> Search for Sonos skill
> Disable Skill
> Enable Sonos Skill
> Login to Sonos again
> Disover Devices

This is exactly what I have to do also! I’ve had enough password issues with Amazon and having multiple Amazon accounts, one for each location, would drive me crazy. It would be nice to not need a clumsy work around.
Userlevel 2

I had discovered the disable / reenable to switch between homes and thought I’d come here and find a better solution.  While the multiple Amazon accounts seems plausible, doesn’t that leave you with having to re-enable Alexa skills in both homes?

I had discovered the disable / reenable to switch between homes and thought I’d come here and find a better solution.  While the multiple Amazon accounts seems plausible, doesn’t that leave you with having to re-enable Alexa skills in both homes?

The easiest way is to have Home-1 with its own Sonos Account and a Family Plan Music Account from Amazon and use one (or more) of the Amazon profiles for this home and then have a separate Sonos Account for Home-2 and use one or more (different) Amazon profiles for this home.

Controller device at Home-1 will need to have the Amazon App logged in with one of the chosen family profiles for that home and the Controller device at Home-2 will need to have the Amazon App logged in with one of the ‘other’ chosen family profiles for that home.

I guess that’s as clear as 'mud', but basically it keeps both Home setup’s entirely separate.

Badge +1

Hi - just to reiterate my earlier reply - four houses all registered to one Sonos account but set up as four different systems using separate routers/ IP addresses.  Created four Amazon accounts (not even with credit card) and use this to pull together smart speakers (sonos) and Smart lighting.. only downside is when visiting each with Amazon Alexa app on a phone, it is only possible to have one account logged in to Alexa at any time… therefore have to log out of Amazon Alexa account of previously visited house and login using the account specific to the current location.