Alexa, Sonos, and Spotify Autoplay

• 6 December 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi all,

I have been using Sonos with Alexa and Spotify for ages now.

When I say "Alexa, play Stairway to heaven", it plays it just fine on my Echo, then stops. (no autoplay)

When I say "Alexa, play Stairway to Heaven in the Family Room" (I have a Sonos called family room, but this happens on any of my Sonos devices), it plays Stairway to Heaven fine on my FR Sonos, but then continues to Autoplay songs after that. For some reason, when I control the Sonos through Alexa/Spotify, it controls Spotify with the autoplay feature on. I have disabled Autoplay on Spotify on both mobile and desktop.

How can I disable Autoplay when using Alexa to launch a Spotify song on my Sonos? Again, everything is configured properly and the Sonos skill works fine. Just have to turn off autoplay.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I think I have an idea of what's happening here, and pretty sure it's a bug on Sonos end. Any way to bring to their attention?

When I issue the request to Alexa, she goes and finds the SongID from Spotify. Then, she sends a request to the Sonos skill saying to play that SongID on Spotify. Sonos then goes and launches a SPOTIFY CONNECT session on the speaker I chose, launching the session with that song. However, Sonos is including the request for Autoplay (adding "like" tracks to the session) instead of just requesting the song with no Autoplay.

Autoplay is extremely annoying here, as the other songs are generally NOT ones you want to hear, so you always have to say "Alexa, stop in the family room" after your song ends. This is not something that can be solved in the Spotify desktop or mobile apps, as the Sonos Skill is the "client" launching the session. It needs to have a way of launching without the Autoplay flag to the API.

Note that when launching a spotify connect session from alexa itself (not going through sonos), this works totally fine.

Can anyone help here?

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Anyone have any thoughts here or know how to get Sonos to respond?

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Ping! Anyone know how to get Sonos to respond to me??
Did you ever get a response? I've been having this problem for months. It gets really sketch when your kids request a song and when that song is over Sonos starts playing some random songs.