Alexa playing from Sonos Favorites list

• 1 November 2017
  • 1 reply

Can Alexa play from different sources asssembed in the Sonos Favorites list? I have various favorite stations from Pandora and Amazon Prime in my Sonos Favorites. Can I get Alexa to play from there? If I say "Alexa play chill in living room"... I'm guessing it would pull from Amazon??, but I want my saved Pandora chill station to play. Also, while I know station names in my Sonos Favorites, I may not recall the source they come from (ie Amazon Prime or Pandora). I would hope for something like "play chill from favorites" type of ability.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I just found this through Google as I was looking to do the same thing. As far as I could tell it's unsupported so I took a different approach, but only if you also have Logitech Harmony as well as Sonos and Alexa.

If you haven't already then in the Harmony app add a new Device, search to wi-fi devices and let it find your Sonos. It will add all your speakers under one Harmony Device.

Then you can set up a Logitech Activity on your Sonos Device to play on any speaker(s) you choose. It will also group speakers if more than one is selected and you can preset the individual volume of each speaker. They key here is that Harmony can (only I think) choose from Sonos Favourites.

Once the Harmony Activity is created you can add an Alexa Routine with an action (under Smart Home / Control scene) to start the Harmony activity. The only thing that seems a bit weird is that the scene doesn't seem to take the name of the Harmony Activity.

I've just done that and it seems to be working flawlessly for two radio stations in my Favourites.