Alexa now plays BBC radio stations on Sonos Connect rather than Echo Dot

• 12 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

For some years with my set up of an Echo Dot and a legacy Sonos Connect I have been able to ask Alexa to play any radio station and it will play on the Connect in the same room, except for BBC radio stations which would only ever play on the Dot. I had to create some trigger processes on IFTTT to get round this to play BBC radio through the Connect  

However today I asked Alexa to “Play BBC radio 6 music” by mistake instead of using the trigger command and found that after the usual BBC sounds pre-jingle was played on the Dot the radio station in question started to play on the Connect.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix and not an error but has anyone else experienced this?

I am in the UK and have the Sonos and BBC skills enabled in Alexa app. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Martin Banham, thanks for reaching out.

I’d suggest taking a look in your Alexa app at your groups. It sounds like the Echo dot is set to play music to the Connect in the same group whenever it receives a playback command. Luckily that’s easily changed by either separating the devices out from the group or changing the playback speaker in the group to the Echo dot. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi James

thanks for your reply. I have always had the connect and dot grouped together so that music requests sent to the dot would play on the Connect. But this never worked for BBC stations (e.g. if I said to the dot “play BBC 6 music” it would only play on the dot and not the Connect.). However, this has changed and so all music and BBC stations now play on the Connect - guess I was just pointing out this is a good thing - but couldn’t work out why this was suddenly working for the BBC radio stations after not working for some 4-5 years previously.