Question

Alexa no longer hears me on my new Sonos One...

• 30 October 2017
  • 14 replies

Badge
So, I set it up and all worked great. Now though, there is no response when I say Alexa. I have tried diffent commands but it’s like the mic isn’t working. The Sonos still works with the app. I can’t work out how to factory reset the thing? Does anyone know how?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sorry for an obvious question but is the light still on under the microphone symbol on the top of the Sonos 1? It's easy to turn it off - I have 🙂 Check in the Alexa app Setting-History that it is hearing your commands.

Let me know how you get on.
Badge
Hi UKMedia. No it’s not. How do I turn the mic back on? I didn’t know you could turn it off. I hadn’t nosiest because had the light settings off. Looked in the app, as she doesn’t seam to be hearing me (I can only see commands to my dot which is working fine).
There is a button on the top of the unit that turns the microphone on and off.
Badge
Oh yes, I’m such an idiot...
Badge
Can I turn off that light without turning off the mic? It’s annoying at night.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can I turn off that light without turning off the mic? It’s annoying at night.
No. That light is hardware linked to the microphone and cannot be worked around by software. This is designed as a security feature for people worried about when the microphone might be on or off. If the light is on, the microphone has power.

If it's bothering you at night you might want to look into covering it with something.

If it's bothering you at night you might want to look into covering it with something.

I'm picturing a sonos one with a doily laid over the top.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Glad we got this sorted...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I'm picturing a sonos one with a doily laid over the top.

I've heard of worse 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
My microphone isn't working at all. The microphone button doesn't function even though I'm fully integrated with an Echo Plus via Alexa app. If I reboot the Sonos One, I briefly see a small LED under the mic button light up before going dark.

Any ideas on how to get the microphone working?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi M Walter

You could try the actions in my last post in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-ones-not-playing-music-6793208/index1.html#post16161322
Userlevel 1
Badge
Brillian, UKMedia, that did it! 😃 I performed factory reset on the One and before re-setting it back up, I removed the Sonos skill from the Alexa app and deregistered the Sonos devices.

My guess is that since I had received and initially setup the One before I received my first Alexa device (an Echo Plus which just shipped), some unrecoverable bug was hit which prevented the microphone from functioning (and/or proper Alexa integration). Order matters?

In any event, thank you!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Glad to help 🙂
Perhaps its asking too much, but the existence of a microphone button would be welcome information to a newby like me. My cleaners apparently touched the top of my new Sonos One, and the microphone stopped working. Only after poking around and seeking help on this forum did I learn that there IS a mic power button. No indication anywhere else that I can find. After reading the responses above I picked up the unit to examine it and accidentally turned it back on. I miss the days when a product came with a description of the controls.