Answered

Alexa integration for SONOS

Does anyone know if/when Alexa will be supported by SONOS? I've seen a lot of conversations about a public trial in 2017 but nothing specific about dates and official release. Can anyone confirm if this integration is actually going to happen?
icon

Best answer by testcard 4 October 2017, 20:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos have said so. So there is no reason to assume otherwise. What we don't know is when
There are lots of posts on this forum if you can find them. One linked to a SONOS press release from August 2016 - sounds like exactly the kind of integration with Alexa that people are waiting for: http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Whoops, wrong thread.
Userlevel 2
This was from 2016... Sonos and Amazon have partnered together to bring Sonos owners with an Alexa-enabled device, such as an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, the ability to use Amazon’s popular Alexa service to control their Sonos sound system. This integration will be available soon through an easy software update, SO MY QUESTION IS.. WHEN????
This was from 2016... Sonos and Amazon have partnered together to bring Sonos owners with an Alexa-enabled device, such as an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, the ability to use Amazon’s popular Alexa service to control their Sonos sound system. This integration will be available soon through an easy software update, SO MY QUESTION IS.. WHEN????

The press release stated there will be a general release in 2017, and there have been various updates since stating it is being worked on and is on schedule. You aren't going to get anything more specific because Sonos doesn't give specific dates, they release it only when it is ready.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Seems that the Sonos / Alexa integration is coming:

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonos-lays-out-terms-for-voice-control-ahead-of-alexa-skill/
Unsurprising, given the fact that they said in 2017 from the beginning.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
In light of the update to privacy policy email that was just sent by Sonos, it would appear that September is a likely time.
Is it likely the Sonos speakers I just bought over the weekend will include Alexa support or did I buy them a month too soon?
Yes all looking good for intergration quite soon, I have read the press release and all sounds great. I wonder will this be a world wide release or will the USA get it first and for the UK to wait a little longer.
Long wait but looks as if there is light at the end of the tunnel 😃
Is it likely the Sonos speakers I just bought over the weekend will include Alexa support or did I buy them a month too soon?

The original press release stated the update will work with all Sonos devices, past and present.
Very good. Thanks for that info. I appreciate it. You rock.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm in the UK, which is supported by Alexa. The privacy statement update email I received from Sonos overnight has a hint about when Alexa support will arrive:

"We’re introducing some important updates to our Privacy Statement. You will be asked to acknowledge this new policy when the new software and system updates are available next week. The new Privacy Statement covers what information we collect, how we use it, and the choices you can make about both."
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
How do you receive such mails? I didn't receive any. Assuming that Sonos has sent it to only those countries that can use Alexa, would the fix not work on systems from other countries?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
How do you receive such mails? I didn't receive any. Assuming that Sonos has sent it to only those countries that can use Alexa, would the fix not work on systems from other countries?

I assume I'm receiving the email simply because my system is registered with Sonos. I've no idea whether Sonos is filtering the email recipients by country, or whether Alexa enablement in the Sonos software will somehow be restricted by country. I guess we'll find out soon.
Could also be an indicator for an upcoming public beta, following the private beta which has been taking place for the last couple of months.
Let's wait and see/hear. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Could also be an indicator for an upcoming public beta, following the private beta which has been taking place for the last couple of months.
Let's wait and see/hear. :)

Perhaps, but note that I'm not signed up for Sonos beta participation.

I also notice that the blog post on the new privacy terms is now live:
http://blog.sonos.com/en/sonos-privacy/

Well, it's not a 'fix', since it's not aimed at repairing an existing feature that's broken. It's new features. Semantics, I know...

As far as the criteria for the mailing list, I did get the email. I would bet it's because I signed up to be notified of Sonos announcements through email. Since the privacy statement is public, so it surely must apply to all customers.
I spoke with a Sonos sales rep yesterday (08/21/17) and he said the integration would happen by year end and would come in the form of an update to the Sonos systems. The way I was reading the info it sounded as if any current Sonos player would be obsolete because of the new integration, but that's not the case.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Controller app had an update in iOS today with the new privacy policy.
The way I was reading the info it sounded as if any current Sonos player would be obsolete because of the new integration, but that's not the case.

That doesn't sound like anything Sonos would do, nor do I imagine they would stay in business if they did that.
Controller app had an update in iOS today with the new privacy policy.

Same on Android. I don't accept the new privacy intrusion policy, at least for now, and now my phone control will not do anything but show the privacy intrusion dialogue demanding I give them access.

Edit, phone reboot and control screen is back. Will avoid updates for now.
The way I was reading the info it sounded as if any current Sonos player would be obsolete because of the new integration, but that's not the case.

That doesn't sound like anything Sonos would do, nor do I imagine they would stay in business if they did that.

It only gets obsoleted if you decline to accept the privacy policy. Which if you are using Alexa you probably have no issue with.

Be very careful upgrading, you can't just decline giving Sonos access, you must say yes.

Thanks for the info. Sticking to v7.3 for now.

Be very careful upgrading, you can't just decline giving Sonos access, you must say yes.

Thanks for the info. Sticking to v7.3 for now.

Just edited my comment, was able to get out of the privacy policy dialogue with a reboot. But definitely won't be running any more updates until this privacy change becomes clearer cause as we know they don't provide a roll back.