Answered

Alexa Home Theatre - Sonos Move

• 26 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have an Alexa home theatre set up in my campervan,

It uses 2x Echo Dot (3rd gen) and a Fire TV Cube 4k.

I can request music from Amazon Music to play in stereo through the Echo Dots and also stream the audio from my Fire TV Cube in stereo to the Echo Dots when I'm watching Netflix.

It's all connected via WiFi to my 4G router in the van and works great but I'd like to improve the sound quality, especially if I open the back doors to play music outside.  The Echo Dots work ok but are obviously quite small so can only do so much in terms of sound quality.

The obvious upgrade would be to switch to the full Amazon Echo units instead of the Echo Dots, but the full Echo units run on 18v and that would require a voltage converter to get to this voltage.

Instead, I noticed that the Sonos Move units have a built-in battery, and are Alexa Enabled.  They look a decent size and would alow me to either put them on the Sonos hook wall mount to watch TV and play Amazon music when inside the van, or take them outside to play music there if I wanted, without a cable.

I noted that they also support stereo pairing, so with 2 units, I can get stereo audio, equivalent to what I have now.

My question is, will the Sonos Move units allow audio to be streamed from another device that is Alexa Enabled, such as the Fire TV Cube?

Does anyone have their Sonos speakers paired in this way in the Alex App?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 27 June 2022, 14:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Elver 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

My question is, will the Sonos Move units allow audio to be streamed from another device that is Alexa Enabled, such as the Fire TV Cube?

In short, no. The only way to get audio from a TV to Move would be via Bluetooth, and that would prevent stereo speakers from being an option (and your TV would need to have Bluetooth).

Hi @Elver 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

In short, no. The only way to get audio from a TV to Move would be via Bluetooth, and that would prevent stereo speakers from being an option (and your TV would need to have Bluetooth).

Fire TV Cube actually has bluetooth built in, so you can send the audio directly from the Cube to your Move.  But as Corey stated, the Move doesn’t do stereo pairing in bluetooth.

How are you powering the the Cube and TV?  Don’t these run on standard household voltage?

Thanks for responding so quickly guys, dang thought I was on to something but it's a really small use case so probably not something that can/would be added through software update in the future, I'll have to try and find another solution.

The TV and Cube are both 12v so run straight off the battery in the back of the camper, no conversion involved (there's likely some other voltages inside them but the power fed to them is the standard 12v)

Thanks for responding so quickly guys, dang thought I was on to something but it's a really small use case so probably not something that can/would be added through software update in the future, I'll have to try and find another solution.

The TV and Cube are both 12v so run straight off the battery in the back of the camper, no conversion involved (there's likely some other voltages inside them but the power fed to them is the standard 12v)

On the cube, I’m guessing you’re just using an alternate power cord.  Not too surprised that it runs on 12V, but the standard power cord that came with it is 110V (in the US anyway) with wall wart.  But maybe I’m wrong on that.  For the TV, is it a version specifically made for DC connections?  I can see there being a market for marine and camper applications.

Anyway, i wouldn’t give up on the Move just because it can’t be stereo paired.  It will certainly sound better than a pair of echo dots, and probably better than a pair of echos.  The portability and weatherproofing, and autotrueplay tuning would also be a big advantage.