Question

Alexa has stopped playing music on Sonos One

• 29 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Ok, so new to sonos. 2 days ago I received my play one. Set up with no issue (although a completely ridiculous process) and everything working as expected and Alexa was happily playing music from amazon music

Today, it stopped. Alexa does everything else like controlling my hue lights but when playing music it now says that it’s playing and nothing happens. The strange thing is that when I first set it up it behaved more like an echo with Alexa announcing ‘now playing...’ but the. It changed to ‘now playing ... on living room’ like it is controlling a separate device.

The group that the sonos is in is called living room (only 1 speaker) but now in the Alexa app I see ‘james’ Sonos One’ and ‘living room’ under settings with only the one showing as online.

Does anyone know of a solution to this. Super frustrated given that I was set to continue my relationship with echo and buy another echo for the living room but thought I’d take punt on this instead as the audio quality is so much better

Thanks in advance

James

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

FIXED

for anyone else experiencing this issue, not sure what caused it, here's what I did

remove Alexa voice service in Sonos app
de-register sonos speaker from alexa app (can't get rid of the other one that is the Alexa instance here)
de-activate the speaker in smart home -> devices
disable the sonos skill
log into the alexa web app and forget the alexa instance in smart home -> devices (this removes it from settings and was the step I was missing from getting it to work)
Go through the set up process again starting in the songs app by enabling Alexa

problem solved!

I can only guess that my issue was that initial my sonos group was called 'living room' and I already had a group with the same name for my hue lights although this did work initially until it stopped. Renaming wasn't enough to fix it and it needed all of the above steps

I hope this isn't going to be the norm when using Sonos products - Being a geek, I can live with it to an extent but it will piss off the misses and my 4 year old when Alexa won't play AC/DC for him!
Had the same problem, but what worked for me was "Alexa, discover devices" ....and everything was fixed. Hasn't happened since.
Alexa wouldn't discover mine! all still seems very Beta even though this is a released device!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
FIXED

for anyone else experiencing this issue, not sure what caused it, here's what I did

de-register sonos speaker from alexa app (can't get rid of the other one that is the Alexa instance here)
disable the sonos skill
log into the alexa web app and forget the alexa instance in smart home -> devices (this removes it from settings and was the step I was missing from getting it to work)

problem solved!

I can only guess that my issue was that initial my sonos group was called 'living room' and I already had a group with the same name for my hue lights although this did work initially until it stopped. Renaming wasn't enough to fix it and it needed all of the above steps

I hope this isn't going to be the norm when using Sonos products - Being a geek, I can live with it to an extent but it will piss off the misses and my 4 year old when Alexa won't play AC/DC for him!

That worked for me too, although I had to do it several times.
Here's what worked for me: Retune the device under Voice Settings> (which will pass you to the Alexa App). Retune. Seems to reactivate the device and its functions.
FIXED

disable the sonos skill

problem solved!

Thanks James! worked for me, I was giving up hope...
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I was also seeing issues where Alexa could start music on a speaker, but not control playback after that. Removing the skill and re-adding it also seemed to fix it for me.