Question

Alexa group no longer working

• 8 May 2024
  • 6 replies

I have an ARC in the living room and a One in the kitchen. These are grouped in Alexa and Sonos in a group called downstairs.

For years I could say Alexa, play music downstairs and both rooms would play.

Some recent update has broken this. Now the same command only plays on the device listening to the voice command, not both. However if I manually group living room and kitchen in Sonos, stop playback in Sonos then ask Alexa to play downstairs both devices play correctly. 

I know I saw this same behavior in another post but I have not seen a resolution.

Any help?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jimt42 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of your troubles grouping your Sonos speakers with an Alexa command.

First, I recommend you try removing the Sonos skill from Alexa, then adding it again. In the Alexa app, go to More » Skills & Games » Your Skills (bottom of page) » Sonos » Disable Skill, then Enable to Use.

Test, and if that has not helped, please try removing and recreating the Downstairs group with the Alexa app: Devices » Downstairs » Edit » [trash icon]New Group to set it up again.

Test again - if that has not helped either, please try rebooting all downstairs Sonos devices.

And if that does not help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Tried all the suggestions. Now on 60 minute hold waiting for phone support

1 hour on hold waiting my turn

3 hours with tech support first and second line support

deleting everything and starting over a few times seems to be working again.

Very frustrating being told to move my SUB and AMP from wired to wireless as part of the process. Wasting time with unrelated requests to a software problem.

HOWEVER

what they failed to mention was there is a bug in enabling Alexa on the ARC. It failed to setup and now I have no Alexa on that device. You cannot remove and re-add. Alexa does not show up as an enabled voice assistant and when you click add Alexa is in the list as already enabled.

1 step forward 2 steps back

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The below was from support

The current Alexa issue is known at the moment due to the time and date not yet being fully integrated in the new Sonos app.

For more information on the missing added feature being added back in the new Sonos app, please check this link: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-228995/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates-6892942

Well if the adding Alexa issue is known why is it not listed in known issues in that article?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Well if the adding Alexa issue is known why is it not listed in known issues in that article?

Good question. They seem to be avoiding adding the defects and just have the list of upcoming features.