Alexa failed to play with Amazon music (resolved)

• 27 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge
So I open my new Sonos Beam this afternoon and after going through the relatively straight forward setup using my Android tablet, on completion and attempting to ask Alexa to play a song or in fact anything at all from Amazon music I was greeted with "I'm now playing blah de blah by whoever etc ... then ...... ....... ...... ........ ........ ........ ......... .." complete silence.

After wasting about 4 hrs this evening trying to get it to work (thanks Sonos! love you x x) I finally got there in the end and thought I'd share it in case anyone else has the same thing.

After doing the recommended steps given on the sticky post on the forum with no success etc... I swapped over to the windows PC Sonos app (Windows firewall initially prevented this from connecting to the speaker as well, even though I had chosen the option to configure the windows firewall in the setup. This added another 1/2 hr of wasted time itself. Eventually found that disabling the firewall - connecting to the speaker - re-enabling the firewall done the trick).

In the app I re-authorized my amazon music account and then logged onto https://alexa.amazon.co.uk and went to skills - sonos - disable skill - enable skill and re-linked my sonos account -

The crucial step appeared to be at the end of this process when it searched for devices and found my sonos beam speaker.

I had originally done this multiple times from my android tablet app and it didn't find any devices. Now I don't know if it was coincidence or something else affecting the pairing but in any case but doing it on my PC appeared to do the trick and suddenly Alexa was happily playing some tunage finally.

Sonos doesn't make it clear in any of the posts that this is a crucial step when linking your sonos skill in the alexa app but it is! So if anyone else has this issue just make sure you disable and re-enable the Sonos skill until it finds your device and all should be good -

I doubt all the other stuff I did like factory reset and signing out of all my accounts on my devices etc... really made a difference.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Brenton. Am I understanding correctly that the issue is now solved? If so, happy to hear that. If not, not to worry, we will do what we can to get to the bottom of this for you. Following an occurrence of this issue, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Many thanks in advance.