Alexa 'ding' on Sonos One

• 10 November 2018
  • 11 replies

Are there any plans to provide an option to turn off the 'ding' sound when using Alexa voice control on Sonos One?
Amazon's own Alexa speakers do not have a sound like this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

The design principle is that as Sonos don't have the light ring as fitted to Amazon products, they have incorporated a sound to indicate when Alexa has been triggered. This is for those people with Privacy concerns and I don't see them removing this or giving the option to turn it off but that's just my opinion.
This is what software updates are for, improving products! Please provide an update allowing us sonos customers to change the Alexa trigger sound, it is TERRIBLE!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi

The design principle is that as Sonos don't have the light ring as fitted to Amazon products, they have incorporated a sound to indicate when Alexa has been triggered. This is for those people with Privacy concerns and I don't see them removing this or giving the option to turn it off but that's just my opinion.

This should be an optional feature so those without privacy concerns can choose to turn it off. I can understand turning the audio acknowledgement on by default but allow individuals to turn it off so Sonos works more like an Alexa device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

This should be an optional feature so those without privacy concerns can choose to turn it off. I can understand turning the audio acknowledgement on by default but allow individuals to turn it off so Sonos works more like an Alexa device.

I can understand what you are asking for but again the design principle is that the Mic light is hardwired and the product makes a ding when activated and that both of these are not software controlled.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi

I can understand what you are asking for but again the design principle is that the Mic light is hardwired and the product makes a ding when activated and that both of these are not software controlled.
The ding and light are not software controlled... Please list your sources.
The ding and light are not software controlled... Please list your sources.

I know where you're coming from, my wife has always kept the camera lens covered on the devices she can cover. However, the LED on the Sonos One is physically connected to the microphones to where if they are getting power, the LED has power. There is no, and will be no software way to change that. So you can be sure that if the LED is off, the microphones aren't listening (assuming someone hasn't opened up your Sonos One and broken the LED or the wiring to the light). While the button on top isn't a hardware switch that cuts off the circuit, we did design the Sonos One it with your security and privacy in mind.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-app-can-turn-a-disabled-sonos-one-microphone-back-on-privacy-issue-6797686/index1.html#post16239800

[...] Also, the LED is hardware linked with the microphone’s state, so you’ll always know when the microphone is on.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-app-can-turn-a-disabled-sonos-one-microphone-back-on-privacy-issue-6797686/index1.html#post16188421
Userlevel 3
Badge
@smilja Thank you for the quotes. Its shocking that Sonos would hard wire something like an audible ding when everything else about Sonos is controllable by firmware updates. I can understand the basic mic light as hardwired, but not an audible alert that may need to be changed. Even Amazon can control their Echo audible by software and leds by firmware. The more I read the community I get the sense that Sonos integration of Alexa isn't well planned or implemented.
@smilja Thank you for the quotes. Its shocking that Sonos would hard wire something like an audible ding when everything else about Sonos is controllable by firmware updates. I can understand the basic mic light as hardwired, but not an audible alert that may need to be changed. Even Amazon can control their Echo audible by software and leds by firmware. The more I read the community I get the sense that Sonos integration of Alexa isn't well planned or implemented.
These are contract-related subjects between Amazon and Sonos.

The hardwired LED is for the folks who are paranoid about Sonos/Alexa/Google listening in when they don't want it to, Sonos made the microphone hardwired to the LED to reassure them(as much as that is posdible).
Maybe I missed it, but this is the first I've heard regarding the ding/bong sound being hardwired. I knew the LED was hardwired, but not this.
I'm not sure about the 'ding' either. But there does seem to be some contractual issue here, possibly due to Sonos not having the full Alexa light ring?