Answered

Alexa chime on Sonos one

• 24 October 2017
  • 31 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Please give the option to disable alexa chime sound. Very annoying! I have to pause every time I speak to sonos one. Very very annoying
Brand new Sonos One owner, just paired two Ones for delightful stereo sound. Love everything so far EXCEPT the Alexa chime—immediately annoying in first five minutes. Please add a disable option ASAP! Thanks
Bump. Please provide the option to disable the chime.
Adding my vote to SONOS adding a control (IN THE NEXT FIRMWARE REV, HOW ABOUT??) to allow a user to turn off the chime. Users have been complaining about this design misstep since the Play 1 was released, but SONOS apparently sees it as a low priority item. Admittedly, they have a lot on their plates: they are trying to evolve multiple new products to host multiple functionalities (e.g. Alexa, Airplay 2) and get them into multiple markets around the globe. Fair enough. But c'mon guys. How about devoting a few days of programmer time to fixing this one exceptionally irritating "feature"? All it needs is a few lines of code and a graphical control added to the SONOS app.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
It may require more than just a "few lines of code." As has been noted elsewhere, Amazon has very strict licensing agreements in effect for any device and/or application that uses Alexa technology. For example, until very recently, those agreements allowed Sonos (and other companies) to use "Alexa" and only "Alexa" as the wake word. Thus it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Amazon also mandates use of a wake sound if and/or when other notifications (such as a light) are deemed insufficiently prominent to notify users that Alexa is listening. Given how annoyed people are by this sound and how common the request is to disable it is, I can't imagine that Sonos has simply decided to ignore these complaints. There has to be more to it than that, I would think.

Of course, none of that means that people shouldn't continue to voice their complaints and lobby for a change. That clunky sound (which the original Echo also uses, but disables by default) is a real annoyance.
Badge
no progress on this? come on, SONOS.