Question

Alexa can not change Play 5 volume

• 18 December 2017
  • 8 replies

Anyone have a suggestion why a Alexa voice controls won't work with a play5? It will play music, but I can't adjust the volume level via Alexa.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, snowduffer11. Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. What error message does Alexa say when giving volume commands to the PLAY:1? You may also want to double check the dialog history on the Alexa app. This will allow you to see how Alexa interprets your commands.
I have the same issue. My Sonos One will not change the volume on the Play 5. If I say "Alexa volume 3." It only changes the Sonos One. If I say "Alexa Volume 3 in the living room", nothing happens with the Play 5.

I am also having the issue where if I say "Alexa play "whatever"" It says "Playing "whatever" in the kitchen"....but plays it in the living room also.

I have tried to set up a group in the Alexa App. But when I say "Alexa play music Everywhere" It says "I cannot yet play music on your everywhere group. Try setting up a group in the Alexa app" Which is exactly what I have already done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same issue. My Sonos One will not change the volume on the Play 5. If I say "Alexa volume 3." It only changes the Sonos One. If I say "Alexa Volume 3 in the living room", nothing happens with the Play 5.

Hi This is working as intended, it's not yet possible to control the Group Volume via voice control.

I am also having the issue where if I say "Alexa play "whatever"" It says "Playing "whatever" in the kitchen"....but plays it in the living room also.

This will be because you have the two speakers grouped in the Sonos App. Just select Rooms and ungroup the speakers to stop this happening.

I have tried to set up a group in the Alexa App. But when I say "Alexa play music Everywhere" It says "I cannot yet play music on your everywhere group. Try setting up a group in the Alexa app" Which is exactly what I have already done.

Alexa Groups aren't yet supported by the Sonos Skill.

I hope that helps.
Badge
Not yet possible to control the group volume via voice control WTF ?? Watching the Sonos promo video for Sonos One that appeared to be a given. Why buy a voice controlled unit and not be able to control your other speakers ?? That said, I love Sonos so when will we be able to control the volume by voice control on both Sonos One and Sonos play 5 ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not yet possible to control the group volume via voice control WTF ?? Watching the Sonos promo video for Sonos One that appeared to be a given. Why buy a voice controlled unit and not be able to control your other speakers ?? That said, I love Sonos so when will we be able to control the volume by voice control on both Sonos One and Sonos play 5 ?

You can control the volume but currently only at a Room level via Voice Control.
Badge
I assume you mean that you can control the volume of both speakers is single room set up as apposed to controlling a speaker in a bedroom ?? I have the Sonos One and play 5 in the same room and grouped, when I voice control volume up it appears to only increase the Sonos One volume. I am no expert by any means but I love my technology and any help is much appreciated
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

As they are set-up as separate rooms in the Sonos App you will need to include the room name of the Play:5. e.g. 'Alexa, Volume 5 on Lounge Sonos' (where Lounge Sonos is the room name for the Play:5 in the Sonos App)
The below link shows the Alexa voice control instructions and the various volume commands that are available. They apply to one room only even when they are grouped. There is currently no voice 'group-volume' commands.

Controlling Sonos with Alexa
CLICK HERE for voice control instructions.

Edit:
Note: the voice 'volume commands' work in exactly the same way as the speaker hardware 'volume-control' buttons