Answered

Alexa App adding speakers as groups

• 8 February 2021
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi,

My sonos system comprises of two Symfonisks as a stereo pair, a play 3, play 1 and two play 5s.  The Symfonisks were in a kitchen group with the dot and were set as the default player for that room. 

When I asked alexa to play some music it would say “playing x on amazon music on sonos”  and then play the music on the stereo pair. I could also ask Alexa to play music on one of the other players.   I started getting issues where Alexa would say “playing x on amazon music on sonos” but nothing would happen. 

I`ve deleted all the sonos devices (and rooms I had set up) from the Alexa app and disabled the skill.  Then forced closed both the sonos app and the alexa app. 

The first peculiarity is when I enable the sonos app again and link it is that Alex discovers the players and adds them plus creates groups for each of the players. Has it always done that?  However, I cannot seem to get back to the point where I can create a kitchen group and have my stereo pair as the default speakers.   

I was a bit wary of the groups in case Alexa was getting confused between the players and the group names .  So deleted them so I was just left with the devices.

When I created a new kitchen group in the Alexa app and add the stereo pair to the group and set as a default speaker it doesn`t really work.  It plays by default through the dot rather than the sonos.  If I specify the room I get “playing x on amazon music on [zoneplayer name].  [Zoneplayer name] is offline.”  

It seems so intuitive to set up the first time, but now doesn`t seem to be working at all.  Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by benha 16 February 2021, 14:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @_Ben,  welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. We appreciate all your effort and for sharing with us what you have done so far in trying to resolve the issue with your Sonos devices and Alexa. This usually caused by network communication problems between your Sonos devices and your router. To further help you with your concern, it would be best to contact our support team with your full network setup including the make and model of your network devices to look into this. Our support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Amazon have introduced a lot of change in this area over the last 6 months. Groups are now, and to be honest have been like this for a while, the main method for playing music on different on multiple Sonos devices when initiating via voice.

Please my post below, although out of date in terms of some of the exact function names, the principles remain relevant: 

Userlevel 2

Now all fixed.

It seem that the step I was missing was going into the Alexa app and going to the echo dot device and then de-registering.  I was then able to set up again.