Answered

Alexa and Spotify - not connecting all of a sudden. Brand new user though!

• 3 August 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
Hi there, brand new to Sonos - one whole week! I played music via Spotify and Alexa was working all weekend, but now I can't get either to work on Sonos. I can get Sonos to play downloaded music from my iphone. I did turn the speaker off one night because the light was annoying me - could that be it? Should I start again and if so, how should I do that? Sorry if a newbie rookie question. thank you :? It says that the wireless connection is disconnected (something like that).
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 3 August 2018, 16:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge
I've also been able to listen to the BBC in the UK and Radio New York live radio station on the Sonos so it's not the internet. It says when I try and load spotify it says "the connection to Spotify was lost".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, sculls. Welcome to the community. Can you try wiring the speaker to your router with the flat cable that came supplied with the device? You'll want to connect it to one of the yellow framed ports on the back. Then wait a few seconds before opening the app. 30 seconds should be ample time. This is just a temporary measure, just to rejig it back into the controller. Once it's back, you should be able to just disconnect the cable and pop it back where it normally lives. You see, sometimes, if a device is left unplugged from power too long, the router will not allow it to easily reconnect.

If this doesn't work- if the speaker initially appears and then drops off altogether once unplugged... Not to worry, we can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. With the cable plugged in, when you can see the device in the app on your phone, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way I or a colleague can identify the cause for you.

Last scenario, if you plug the device into your router and it Still doesn't appear, we need to know what the light is doing on that device. Don't fret, we'll get you back with some music, hopefully in time for the weekend!

In the meantime, you may also receive advice from another board member. They often come with some great suggestions of their own.

Many thanks in advance for the additional info!
Badge
Thank you. I have plugged Sonos into the router - the initial error that says you are not connected has gone away (yay) and now it just wont play Spotify (oh). The content on Sonos and the content on Spotify on my phone appear to be different. I was on a trial on spotify with no ads that has reverted, so i still can't play on the Sonos speaker, and I can't get Alexa back. booooo...
I did the diagnostic thing - number is 1207064935.
Thank you, lovely customer support and I'm pretty chuffed I have the BBC in my lounge room coming out of a sonos speaker. Just fabulous.
@sculls. Regarding the light on the sonus speaker, you can turn that off if in the room settings in the Sonos app. There's second light on the Sonos One and Beam that tells you whether the mic is on or off, and you can't turn that off without turning off Alexa effectively. However, that ones not as bright so hopefully is not as annoying.

Regarding Spotify, I don't use it myself, but I think it may require a premium account to be used in Sonos. I might be 100% off on that, but that might explain why you aren't seeing it in Sonos anymore, not sure.

Regarding getting Alexa back, are you saying that she isn't responding to commands anymore? Is the mic turned on (as previously denoted by the secondary mic)? If the mic is turned on but 'she' isn't responding to your commands, the next step I'd take would be to remove the Sonos skill from with the Alexa app, and then reapply the skill. That often refreshes things.
Badge
OMG I'm an idiot. Yes, I had the mic light off. I didn't even know there was one!!!!! I have her back. And I think you are right - I think you need premium for spotify. Thank you so much. I'll just keep listening to radio stations till I can work out how to get other music to the speaker. That's brilliant thank you!! What a great community. 😳
Glad your sorted for now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Solid advice from Danny, as ever. Happy to hear it's sorted, sculls. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know!
Badge
Thank you so much Edward. Great support thanks a zillion. Loving my Sonos. Love the sound. Love the way it fills the space.:)