Answered

Alexa and Sonos, play:1 not supported?

• 4 October 2017
  • 8 replies

So I updated Sonos app then setup alexa and Sonos. All devices are recognized. Have playback with 2 speakers, and 2 plays in different rooms. Playback works great. When I give command to other rooms. Alexa tells me that the device does not support the command. Did I miss an update for the speakers? If so where?
icon

Best answer by Taralynchron 5 October 2017, 00:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There are some great troubleshooting steps here to start with. Odds are, it didn't hear the command right, or the device wasn't discovered when you did that.
For anyone else that has troubles, I 1)forgot the device on alexa 2)unplugged the speaker, causing a reset 3)readded the speaker on sonos 4)discovered the device on alexa. This cleared the issue, now working as expected
Could you confirm is this worked on a play 1 specifically? Just want to make sure
My new Alexa not working Just saying"Sorry I am having trouble undersatnding right now please try a little later" Waht is going on
Badge
I have the same problem. I even have it hard wired to my router. Worked perfect until my cable internet company switched router. It can discover my WiFi but says having trouble understanding or something like that. Sometimes I’d say okay Rolling Stones. Say ok names the Channel but now music plays...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello jccash, are you having issues with a Sonos One or a PLAY:1? Following an occurrence of your issue, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause for you. Many thanks in advance.
Badge
I got it working last night. Mine is a Sonos One. Started over which I had done before but left the eithernet cable in and added two eve. Though I only have one unit. Second one is on line. Firsr one is called dining room but does not show a status. Second one is called Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I got it working last night. Mine is a Sonos One. Started over which I had done before but left the eithernet cable in and added two eve. Though I only have one unit. Second one is on line. Firsr one is called dining room but does not show a status. Second one is called Sonos.

Hi

As you expand your system 🙂 you need to ensure that devices names are consistent.

Alexa prefers that names for Devices, Groups and Scenes are unique, so I personally use the naming standard 'Room Name + Device type'. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, Lounge Sonos, etc