Answered

Alexa and Sonos One aren’t communicating.

• 15 November 2017
  • 3 replies

I asked this in troubleshooting before realising there was a separate topic for this.

We bought a sonos 1 at the weekend to add to our sonos system of 2 play 1s, 2 play 3s and a play 5. The speaker is labelled “kitchen”. It works as a sonos speaker through the sonos app, but we can’t make Alexa play any music.

Alexa can answer questions about the weather etc, but doesn’t seem to be linked with sonos at all. We haven’t set up a music account that works through it yet (we have been using deezer), but that isn’t the issue. It won’t link with sonos at all. Eg-

If we start music through the sonos app and ask Alexa to stop playing it says “I can change the playback mode only when music is playing”. Which it is.

If we ask Alexa to play radio 1 it says “bbc radio 1 from tune in playing in kitchen”. But then “sorry, something went wrong”. And plays nothing.

In Smart Home Alexa can see all the speakers. Tried activating and deactivating the sonos skill.

But- under Settings in Alexa app, as well as ‘kitchen’ it has ‘sonos one’ separately- although that is showing as offline. (That was originally named ‘Daniels’ sonos one’). If I deregister the ‘sonos one’ Alexa now says “sorry I’m having trouble understanding right now please try a little later” to everything.

So basically we just have a play one that we paid an extra 20 quid for, that can tell us the weather.

We are not the most technological people, but have bumbled through various issues with sonos for about 10 years now. How do we make this work?
icon

Best answer by Confusedwomble 15 November 2017, 21:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Ok. Fixed it. With a little digging around on the forum!
@confusedwomble How did you fix it, I am having the same issue and cannot get it to work.
Sorry- put solution in the other thread and forgot this one!

The problem was the Sonos One showing as offline (apparently its normal for it to appear twice under devices).

The issue is the Alexa app not working properly. All you need to do is log in to Alexa on a pc, via the website. Then enable the Sonos Skill from there.

Fixed it for us- hope it works for you!