Activating Alexa on Beam

• 7 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi

I have just bought a Sonos Beam to add to my existing system of two Sonos Ones. I have updated the app and put at all three speakers in. All is working ok, TV and Music (spotify), but I can’t add Alexa. When I try this on the app it says to check the wifi connection. I don’t understand this as the wifi is fine, streaming music is fine. It says to check the time and date in the settings, but I have checked at they are all ok. The app doesn’t give any more help. I noticed that the small light on the microphone symbol on the Beam is not on and when you touch it does not come on, I don’t know if this is a problem. 

Any help would be very welcome. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Have you checked that Alexa is supported in your region? This article will help determine if Alexa is supported or not:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3505?language=en_US

Have you followed the instructions here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3517?language=en_US

Thanks for the reply but yes we have Alexa in the UK, I have several Alexa enabled items and have been using it for years. I have tried to follow the procedure but at the first step it just says check your wifi and won’t let me sign in. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @PTE.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I understand your situation especially if we have tried some possible tips and tricks but nothing helped. Let me share some troubleshooting steps that might help you out.

Allow me to recommend the following guides and please do follow accordingly.

1. Log out of ALL Amazon-related apps which are and not limited to the following. (Amazon Prime, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Alexa, etc.) 
  2. Open the Amazon Alexa app and disable the Sonos Skill.
  3. De-register any Sonos product on the Alexa App.
  4. Open the Sonos App.
  5. Remove the Alexa Voice service.
  6. Force close Sonos app.
  7. Force close the Alexa App.
  8. Reopen the Sonos App. Add Alexa as a voice service.
  9. Open Alexa app Add Sonos as skill
  10. Register Sonos speaker
  11. Add music service.
  12. Test to check if it works.
  13. Submit a diagnostic to capture all information performed on the Sonos devices.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted.

Thanks,