Answered

Speakers don't work since adding a network switch

Have 2 Sonos Ones that have worked well wirelessly for years. I have some devices in my house I prefer to hardwire and need more ports so added a network switch to the router. Now the speakers don’t work/connect. The Sonos speakers are the only wireless devices in the house that don’t work now. Spent over an hour on phone with Sonos, restarting, removing, reconnecting, etc. No success and they were unable to help me. Said to call my internet provider for help configuring the router settings (who wants to charge for support with no guarantee of success).

Any suggestions for how to configure router settings?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 June 2023, 02:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is it a managed switch? If so you may need to adjust your STP settings to avoid a network storm.

If its an unmanaged switch I have no idea, unmanaged switches are just that, pretty damn simple devices.

I suggest you resist the impulse to Factory Reset without further consult.

As a reality check have you reverted to the setup prior to adding the switch?

@controlav Yes it is a managed switch. In what way would I need to adjust my STP settings?

@buzz No I have not, was trying to avoid it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@controlav Yes it is a managed switch. In what way would I need to adjust my STP settings?

@buzz No I have not, was trying to avoid it.

I keep my network simple, no managed switches for me. I know little about STP other than it is an issue, search this forum for others who know more than I and have posted their solutions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Ad @buzz suggests have you tried removing the switch temporarily to see if things work again.

STP is a network protocol that Sonos uses, managed switched can upset its working if they are not configured correctly for Sonos.

@Ralpfocus I understand the switch is likely the culprit, and am looking for assistance to configure it so Sonos will work correctly

What is the switch model number?

You might want to post the brand and model of your switch.  Anything in the user guide about troubleshooting issues like this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Sorry should have added try following @controlav suggestions to search forum for previous posts, my STP knowledge is more likely to harm your network than the other way round. STP can be complicated (but fixes can sometimes be straightforward). It might be worth posting the make and model of your switch to help other posters.

Do you really need a managed switch, if not could you return and replace with a non-manged one, they can be less than 30usd

It is an NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch (GS308E). I don’t know much about switches, I just needed more ports to hardwire some devices so this one looked like it would do the trick. All devices including mobile, Nest, Ring, desktop computer, TV, etc. all seem to work fine. Sonos is the only issue.

See page 51 and make sure that IGMP snooping is enabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nest, Ring, desktop computer, TV, etc. all seem to work fine. Sonos is the only issue.

Sonos is likely the only one that requires realtime inter-device communications on your local network.

@th5467,
Here are the ‘general’ STP settings required for a managed switch to work with Sonos and the STP Interface Settings (for every port connected to a Sonos product) to eliminate any loops…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-stp-settings-to-work-with-sonos

Personally speaking, I would return the switch too and perhaps just go with an ‘unmanaged’ Netgear switch instead, but, if required, maybe see if the settings suggested will work for you.

Hope the link assists.

Edit: I would also check and if enabled, disable the switches built-in DHCP server, as that maybe at the root of your problem here too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@th5467,

Edit: I would also check and if enabled, disable the switches built-in DHCP server, as that maybe at the root of your problem here too.

The switch has a built-in DHCP server? OMG why?? Yeah, replacing this with an unmanaged switch is the best fix.