Answered

Sonos/Sonance Garden Series + Outdoor TV Compatibility

• 12 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I have a Sonos/Sonance Indoor/Outdoor setup consisting of:

• Living Room - Sonance In-Ceiling Speakers + Sonos Arc Soundbar + Sonos Sub + Sonos Amp
  • Kitchen - Sonance In-Ceiling Speakers + Sonos Amp
  • Backyard - Sonance Garden Series 8.1 System w/ SR 2-125 Amp

I have a Russound Speaker Selector and Sonos Port which allow me to combine all of the above to play the same audio in any combination (or different audio through different sources).

We have an outdoor television which we would like the ability to run audio through the (SGA) Sonance Garden Series (even if we can’t tie it to the other Sonance In-Ceiling or Sonos Arc Soundbar), but have run into a number of issues. 1st off, utilizing the RCA connections and an adapter which shows on the Sonos app as a “Line-In” connection, the latency is unbearable (even after maxing out the adjustment on the TV), and when connecting it to the Sonos Port, there can only be one input connected at a time, making it impossible to toggle between the SGA playing music through the app, or my TV audio exclusively.

What equipment or setup adjustment is needed to be able to get this working to where I can select the TV audio as another “input” or “channel” within the Sonos app??

icon

Best answer by Corry P 13 April 2023, 13:30

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @youn1033 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

With Line-in, all audio is buffered for synchronised network playback, which makes Port unsuitable for this task.

Therefore, to have delay-free TV audio selectable from within the Sonos app, you would need to replace the SR2-123 Amplifier with a Sonos Amp - though you would not be able to connect all of the 8.1 speakers to it - and to connect the Amp’s HDMI port to the TV’s HDMI-ARC port. I recommend you seek guidance from Sonance as to how to connect the speakers - I am not familiar enough with the speakers to guide you.

Alternatively, connect the SR2-125 to the TV via their optical ports, and forego the option to control it from the Sonos app.

I hope this helps.

Hi @youn1033 

With Line-in, all audio is buffered for synchronised network playback, which makes Port unsuitable for this task.

Therefore, to have delay-free TV audio selectable from within the Sonos app, you would need to replace the SR2-123 Amplifier with a Sonos Amp - though you would not be able to connect all of the 8.1 speakers to it - and to connect the Amp’s HDMI port to the TV’s HDMI-ARC port. I recommend you seek guidance from Sonance as to how to connect the speakers - I am not familiar enough with the speakers to guide you.

Alternatively, connect the SR2-125 to the TV via their optical ports, and forego the option to control it from the Sonos app.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry. I have been doing a little research and it sounds like it may actually be cheaper to just purchase a Sonos Soundbar for outside. By doing so, I can run my TV audio through it, and can group it to my external Patio Series Speakers as well if need be. If you see any issues with this plan, please let me know!

Hi @youn1033 

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry. I have been doing a little research and it sounds like it may actually be cheaper to just purchase a Sonos Soundbar for outside. By doing so, I can run my TV audio through it, and can group it to my external Patio Series Speakers as well if need be. If you see any issues with this plan, please let me know!

When that Sonos soundbar is play TV audio, it will play the audio immediately to stay in sync with the video...exactly what your Living Room (Arc) is doing currently.  When you group that new ourdoor soundbar with other Sonos rooms, the other rooms (external Patio Speakers)  will be delayed 75 ms.  Again, this exactly what happens with your Living Room, and if you can stand at a place where you can hear the Living Room and any other Sonos room grouped, you’ll hear an echo.

Word of caution, though. None of the Sonos soundbars are rated for outside use, make sure to check the temperature and moisture specs before choosing this route. 

Word of caution, though. None of the Sonos soundbars are rated for outside use, make sure to check the temperature and moisture specs before choosing this route. 

Understood. It will be mounted back up under the eve of the patio and keep a cover on it. I have my TV out there and my general take is 3 - 5 years for these types of items is a Win. If they last at least 3, I’m ahead on what it would have cost to purchase a proper “outdoor rated” TV or Soundbar. By then tech will have improved enough I’ll want to upgrade and move an old inside TV outside!

Hi @youn1033 

I hope this helps.

When that Sonos soundbar is play TV audio, it will play the audio immediately to stay in sync with the video...exactly what your Living Room (Arc) is doing currently.  When you group that new ourdoor soundbar with other Sonos rooms, the other rooms (external Patio Speakers)  will be delayed 75 ms.  Again, this exactly what happens with your Living Room, and if you can stand at a place where you can hear the Living Room and any other Sonos room grouped, you’ll hear an echo.

I think I can live with the 75ms delay. If it really becomes a bother, I will turn the volume level for the soundbar way down and utilize it as just the conduit to pass along the audio to the external speakers. When not looking for full-yard audio, I can utilize the soundbar alone.

I just use Apple TV. It works perfectly with no latency.  I have my sonance garden series 8.2 powered by 1 Sonos amp.  (2) 10” subwoofers.  It sounds great.