Answered

Sonos in three buildings on one property

• 30 October 2022
  • 5 replies

We have a large property with a main house, entertainment building and a pool house.  There is one Unifi network for the entire property UDMpro, 3 USW24 switches and 10 Access points, the outbuilding are connected by fiber to a switch in each building.  In the main house there are 12 amps, 2 arcs, 1 beam and 1 sub.  One of the amps is plugged into Ethernet and the rest are on Sonosnet.  The Main house works fine.  The outbuildings are to far away to connect via Sonosnet and when I try to wire one Amp in either building via Ethernet the network crashes and does not recover until I unplug the Ethernet.  I have STP (not RSTP) enabled with the switches prioritized appropriately and IGMP enabled.  In the Entertainment building there are 4amps and 2arcs, in the Pool House there are 2amps.  What would be the best and stable way to connect the outbuilding Sonos players.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by buzz 30 October 2022, 23:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Do the SONOS units have WiFi credentials? Unless you have a ROAM or MOVE, I’d remove WiFi credentials from the SONOS units. Some of the access points provide a LAN through port. I’ve had storms if I use this port for a SONOS player. Maybe this was a “feature” of one particular Ubiquiti firmware release, but I regretted that update. How are the switches interconnected? Pure speculation on my part, but if you are using SFP, might you need to specifically enable STP on those ports?

I run full ubiquity stack as well and a similarly complicated network. I had a lot of issues with network stoms… I think buzz is right, you need to visit the post settings on the managed swtiches.

How does Sonos hold up on that large of an installation?

I currently have 3 amps, 2 arcs, 1 port, 6, one’s, and a sub… but was thinking of adding 8 more amps and maybe a sub or two.

on my previous comment, I meant port setting not post.

Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions.  I ended up wiring every Sonos device and disabling the WiFi on every device.  I made no changes to the network and it has not only been rock solid the Sonos and network as a whole is more responsive and reliable.  Going on 4 days with no hiccups.

I have maxed out some Sonos systems with 32 devices with no issues but this was a very unique and unconventional property and system.  Just wanted to share the solution that worked for me.

How does Sonos hold up on that large of an installation?

I currently have 3 amps, 2 arcs, 1 port, 6, one’s, and a sub… but was thinking of adding 8 more amps and maybe a sub or two.

If all or most of the units are wired, I would not expect any issues. Supporting a system this large wirelessly might not be reliable. A lot depends on wireless topology and local interference/clutter.